Support Forums

Full Version: What is W3C Validation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) are the group of people responsible with creating web standards. This includes HTML, XHTML, CSS, XML, RSS and upcoming HTML5.

Standards for web design and layout are actually very important as it creates a centralization of technologies that browsers can employ to ensure proper visual experience for users. Imagine if you will that the simple break tag <br> was different for Internet Explorer and Firefox? It would create chaos for admins and web surfers. Instead they use standards agreed upon by W3C.

What this means for you is that if you want the best possible experience for your users you'll start by using validated code. W3C offers validation for markup and for CSS.

Markup Validation: http://validator.w3.org/

CSS Validation: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

While I don't feel that CSS validation is nearly as important it's in my view very important to validate your markup. This forum is dedicated to helping admins learn to validate their code which will give their users the best possible experience.

Those with validated sites can place an image like this on them.
[Image: valid-xhtml10]
Do you know when HTML 5 is coming out? (or whatever they call it in the coding world)
My brother-in-law told me I should learn it because it'll be the next big language and will probably replace flash.
Thank you, I found this very useful.
(06-08-2010, 05:38 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know when HTML 5 is coming out? (or whatever they call it in the coding world)
My brother-in-law told me I should learn it because it'll be the next big language and will probably replace flash.

Just like CSS3, HTML5 is technically "out".

HTML5 intended to be public, meaning that we all knew what was happening. Certain browsers have implemented certain HTML5 elements and W3Schools have now started teaching it - www.w3schools.com/html5

It will probably replace Flash to an extent, not completely though.
http://www.w3schools.com/html5/html5_intro.asp
Quote:HTML5 is still a work in progress. However, most modern browsers have some HTML5 support.
Thanks for the answer James and Omni.
I checked Support Forums:

Quote:This document was successfully checked as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
On all my mybb sites I validate. Heck..I think on every site I've created over the past 5 years I've validated. I'm sort of a validation nazi.
Thanks Thanks Thanks Smile
(06-08-2010, 05:38 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know when HTML 5 is coming out? (or whatever they call it in the coding world)

it won't replace flash, just reduce the usage of it.
also, you could learn HTML5, but right now most browsers are a bit edgy with it. (especially IE)
if you want a browser friendly version of HTML go for XHTML.
currently XHTML 1.0 supports all of HTML4's features.
i know that omni uses XHTML 1.0 Tranistional for his websites, just view the source and look to the top of the document.
Pages: 1 2 3