Support Forums

Full Version: I want to make my site not appear in any search engines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How would I go about this? Is there any way I could make it so that no search engines can find my site?
Yes. Make a file called "robots.txt" and put it in your domain's top-level directory, so its accessible at yourdomain.com/robots.txt, then add this:

Code:
User-Agent: *
Disallow: /
If you don't mind saying, howcome?
(06-04-2010, 07:12 AM)Riverthief Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't mind saying, howcome?

I was about to ask the same question?

Illegal content... or?
(06-04-2010, 07:56 AM)KraZi Wrote: [ -> ]I was about to ask the same question?

Illegal content... or?
1) Illegal content
2) Torrenting
3) Private closed community forum
4) I dont want people to be able to search for me at all, I want it to be completely hidden so that the only way possible to find it is if your invited Oui
If your host supports individual custom .htaccess you can make it so it can only be accessed with user and pass (there would be a prompt), search engines would have nothing to index, only the 401 error page.

http://www.elated.com/articles/password-...-htaccess/
I was gonna do something far more hardcore, I was just gonna do a full range ip block, and add exceptions to the list as I went. 8)
Probably htaccess password would work best. Members would feel exclusive and it would protect your site very well.
ooo I like the look of this 8D. Does this stop them from even being able to contact the server though? Thats more along the lines of what Im aiming for, I dont even want them to be able to open a connection to it unless I want them to.
(06-08-2010, 05:51 AM)Fallenour Wrote: [ -> ]ooo I like the look of this 8D. Does this stop them from even being able to contact the server though? Thats more along the lines of what Im aiming for, I dont even want them to be able to open a connection to it unless I want them to.

It will be similar to a 403, but it will give them the opportunity to authenticate their self, if wrong, they will get a 401 error, the same as 403 access denied, but meaning the reason why is because authentication is needed.

I use it on my WAMP server, that I use for small projects and sending files usually.

You'd have it like this in your htaccess
Code:
AuthUserFile "C:\WebServer\.htpasswd"
AuthName "name of choice"
AuthType Basic
Require valid-user

And in the .htpasswd, you'd have it in this format

Code:
username:password
username1:password

Username is case sensitive as well.
Pages: 1 2