Support Forums

Full Version: DualBoot Ubuntu without a disk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just download this file!

http://wubi-installer.org/

Open it and select what distro you want to install.

Select how much space you want to make in your harddrive.

Now just follow the on screen instructions.
It's still best to install the actual OS via disc. See here ->

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_%28Ubu...imitations
It's better for me because my disk drive was corrupt soo..
This is only for Ubuntu though. I like using CentOS so I can't use it.
(05-28-2010, 03:17 PM)alfonzo1955 Wrote: [ -> ]This is only for Ubuntu though. I like using CentOS so I can't use it.

Ohh that's true. Sorry bout that bro.
Yeah. I would suggest editing your thread title to 'Dualboot Ubuntu without a disk' =(
Done. Thanks for reminding me also. Sorry for dissapointment
Hello Yeye

Yup, i've used this before it's great, or though theres a little bug with the mouse freezing occasionally, which i couldn't find out how to fix, my friend John got this aswell, so it wasn't my computer, but yeah i'd recommend this apart from the little mouse bug that happens occasionally, so apart from that it's really good. and it's safe.

Hope i helped Yeye

Thanks,
Natha,
If you don't have to use Wubi, don't use it. If you can't burn the image to a disc, just dd it on your USB drive or something.
(06-02-2010, 01:29 PM)Psycho Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't have to use Wubi, don't use it. If you can't burn the image to a disc, just dd it on your USB drive or something.

I agree with Psycho. I hate using Wubi when I install Ubuntu for anyone, just look at what Elektrisk posted:

Compared with a regular installation, a Wubi installation faces some limitations. Hibernation is not supported and the filesystem is more vulnerable to hard reboots. Also, if the Windows drive is unmounted uncleanly (Windows crash, power failure, etc), Ubuntu will not be able to mount the Windows drive and boot until Windows has successfully booted and shut down. If the Windows system cannot be booted after the crash, the user also cannot boot Ubuntu.
Performance related to hard-disk access is also slightly slower, more so if the disk image file is fragmented, on a Wubi install compared to a normal one.
Pages: 1 2