Support Forums

Full Version: Help getting internet on Xubuntu and Can a tiple boat be possible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First to tell you all I have been trying for two days now trying to get xubuntu to connect to the internet and I have been hopeless if some one can help me that would be awesome !

Also can Slackware or linux mint be dual booted with my Xubuntu and windows xp if so if you could also help me out that would be cool.

And if internet is not possible on xubuntu for some reason how do you uninstall it.
Do you use a wireless card?

If so, you need to install the drivers for the card.

Okay..

Download these:

#

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/misc/n...per-common
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/misc/n...-utils-1.9
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/net/ndisgtk

Run them in the order that I put the download links. You will need to give your password to install them.

Now go to System -> Administration -> Windows Wireless Drivers.

You will need to install the .inf files (Drivers) that comes on the CD with your wireless card.

I hope this helped.
I dont have a CD when I got my laptop it had the dell wireless 150 mini-pci card preinstalled.
(10-08-2009, 01:51 PM)conrados1 Wrote: [ -> ]I dont have a CD when I got my laptop it had the dell wireless 150 mini-pci card preinstalled.
Ah. Try going to System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers

See if your the driver for it is in there.
Open a terminal and type "lspci" to see if Linux detects your wireless card. If it does, then copy the name of it. Boot into an OS that has Internet, and research your wireless card. Figure out if Xubuntu supports it. If it does, there should be instructions on the official website (or Ubuntu's; they should be the same). With my wireless card, all I have to do is go into the Hardware Manager and click 'Activate' to activate my wireless card.
Its a broadcom corporation bcm4309 802.11 a/b/g and I was reading online before that it has been tested to work but I couldn't find a tutorial. And I'm using Xubuntu 9.04 btw.
I use a broadcom wireless card as well. I'm a linux newbie, but be sure to install "b43-fwcutter", which is apparently essential to using that card on Linux. Reboot your computer after installing it, and then go to the "Hardware Manager" and see if your driver is detected. On my computer, there're two different drivers detected. One is unable to be activated, but the other is able to be activated, and it grants me internet. So try to activate any and all drivers that you can from the HW manager. Since you do not have the Internet, you'll have to find the .deb files for the b43-fwcutter, I presume.
Sorry for being a linux noob but what would be the command to run that?
(10-08-2009, 05:14 PM)conrados1 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for being a linux noob but what would be the command to run that?

Sorry, but I don't understand.
To get run the .deb file, you should just be able to double-click it and the package manager should handle it. To open Hardware Devices, you should be able to go to Applications -> System -> Administrator (sorry, it's been a while; forgive me if that's wrong).
Nvm I installed it. It installed fine. When I went to the hardware section and the broadcom bcm43XX was there but when I tried to activate it loads to 50% and then goes away. When loading it says downloading and installing so is that the reason it won't install is because I dont have internet?