Support Forums

Full Version: We're Made To Be Together. No.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well before I begin I'd like to mention that this post was originally written for my blog Completely Honest and I'd appreciate it if you checked it out. I just throw anything up there really, whether it be tech related or not. Just give it a shot.

You hear it all the time, couples everywhere, regardless of sex, age, or race say it every day, “We’re made to be together, it’s so perfect!” No, just no, that’s an utterly ridiculous thing to say and you should be shot for saying it. Okay, maybe that was a tad bit rough but you get the idea, I’m not exactly a huge believer in the whole, ‘person x and person y are made to be with nobody but each-other and they somehow, whether it be due this thing called ‘fate’ or due to a series of extremely unlikely events taking place, not only meet each-other, but develop an intimate relationship’ concept, I just don’t see how it’s possible to be honest.
Well first, lets look at this from a purely statistical standpoint. How many people get married everyday? …Pfft, who knows, but I’m sure it’s an awful lot. Now how many of these couples believe that they’re made to be together? I’d say most of them, I’m not going to go out and say that all married couples believe in such a thing, but I’m willing to bet that, especially in the love-crazy state they are most probably in, they believe that they are made to be together. Next up, how many people are there in the world? Geh, once again I can’t really be bothered opening Google and finding out, but lets just say a lot.
Due to my lack of ability to Google I can’t really write a mathematical equation or Perl one-liner to work out the probability of one of these couples’ beliefs to indeed be true, but it’s pretty damn improbable, more like one of the many gimmicks marketed towards love-sick teenaged girls by the movie industry to tap into their emotions and sell more cinema seats.
This is where I’d discuss fate and all that bologna, but I won’t do it here as I can tell that this post is going to be long enough and I already have another post planned for that anyway, but lets just put it out of the equation now, for simplicities sake.
Furthermore, nothing is perfect, lets face it. Your dog isn’t perfect, it’d rip that birds face off, your house isn’t perfect, that back room could be a little bigger, that essay you got an A for isn’t really perfect, you forgot a comma on the fifth line. Do you get the idea now? Nothing is perfect, NOTHING, and your high-school sweetheart that you’re splitting the rent with? I’m sorry to say but he or she definitely isn’t perfect. There’s always a flaw, there’s always something wrong, you may be tolerant enough to let it slip but chances are it eventually will catch on and chances are you’ll be kicked out of that apartment and left to fend for yourself at one point in your life.
With that all neatly wrapped up in a nice little figurative package, it’s more than enough to convince me, someone that pretty much lives by the scientific view on things, that the entire idea is either total crap, or is one of the most loosely used concepts in all of human history, really, really, really, and I mean, really overused.
All right, now that I’ve gotten that out in the open, I’ve probably made it seem like I’m undervaluing the entire concept of relationships. Let me tell you what I do believe in.
I believe that love is something that is built up over time; something that, if you let it, will get to this pseudo-perfect stage where you will be seemingly happy and you may or may not be married, and you may or may not have kids, who knows?

Now I’d like to bring the chaos theory or ‘the butterfly effect’ into the equation. Remember that girl you kissed at your friends thirteenth birthday party? Yeah, that girl that told her ‘best friend that wouldn’t tell a soul’ about your special moment, that girl that eventually had the whole school, including your now ex-girlfriend, in on what was once your little secret. Imagine if that kiss never occurred, imagine if your girlfriend at the time had never found out you had a crush on so-and-so at one point in your life and imagine that you never got out of control with that girl at that party due to too much fizz-wizz and Coca-Cola or whatever alcohol supplement thirteen-year-olds drink now.
Do you really believe that things would be the same, do you really believe that you’d be with the same person? I really doubt that it’d be the case, you could’ve been with your now ex-girlfriend right as you’re reading this, her sitting on your lap, you reading my stupid blog posts through her long hair that’s getting in the way of your view of the Macbook screen. Whatever, I’m getting too graphic now, back on topic. Long hair and Macbook screens aside, chances are that you’d feel the same way about your alternate universe girlfriend. Love is something that builds up over time, something that escalates when you share happy experiences with someone. It isn’t specific to one person, there isn’t one girl that’s ‘special,’ your spouse, fiance, spouse or whatever isn’t as special as you think she is. If she were that special and you’re the type of person that sits around reading blogs like this, she’d probably be with someone else, no offense; all right, that was meant to be offensive but that’s because I’m a mean person, whatever.

As I said, this is only just something to think about. Don't flame me because it isn't some all-revealing post or whatever. If you disagree I'd like to hear your reasoning and you might even change my view on the subject, just don't come in here saying I'm full of crap without bringing anything valuable to the table.
Yet again, this is brought to you by my blog Completely Honest.
I'm pretty sure that was just a really long rant, but it was interesting and i completely agree. You're really good at writing too.
yep agreed, nice post iintens
Extremely well written, and totally true, it just doesn't seem viable that 2 people out of 6,697,254,041 are destined to meet; no matter what country they live in.
Very nice post dude
Nice post I agree very well written.
I never did believe in the whole "soulmate" BS, or that the "perfect" person or mate even exists. Neither my husband or I ever had any such delusions in the first place, or ever held that high of expectations for one another. We also know that marriage is hard work and never thought otherwise.

So guess I can't argue something I agree with Smile
Fate will take its course!
Yeah everything I write is a rant, that's where I get my motivation. Complements are much appreciated.

(05-15-2010, 10:02 AM)GLO13AL_T3RROR Wrote: [ -> ]Fate will take its course!

*sigh*.
I agree as well, but I'm in a relationship and my girlfriend and I are very good for each other. We're basically the same, but different genders and I honestly love her a lot. I think things will work out the way we want them and everyone is allowed to believe what they want. I respect your opinion since it was well written and proven. Nice write up.
Pages: 1 2