Support Forums

Full Version: Cant Decide What To Do
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
About 2 years ago my doctor made a discovery when i went in for a check up, he discovered i have a heart disorder named BAV (Bicuspid Aortic Valve) a BAV is when your Aortic valve in your heart hasnt formed properly, A normal aortic valve has 3 leaves, mine only has 2 (Looks like an actual pussy lol) anyways i was given two different options for sergery.

One: When im 20-35 i have to get sergery, My valve gets replaced with a Micanical Valve. I then need it replaced every 5 years (Heart sergery every 5 years)

Two: same thing, i need heart sergery when im 20-35 but my valve gets replaced with a pig valve. I then need heart sergery every 15 years.

What option would you choose? im also not sure if i want to wait that long to get eather of the sergerys, my doctor said that now that i know about this disorder im going to get a thing called "Phantom Pains" which means i get sharp pains in my chest because my brain knows somethings wrong there, so my brain is creating sharp pains thinking its my heart. So do you think i should wait till im 20-35 to get one of the sergerys or should i get it when i turn 18?

BAV effects 1% of the worlds population, and keep in mind theres always a chance that i could die during the sergery.

If you want to understand my condision a bit more just google " Bicuspid Aortic Valve"
I would choose the pig valve. Purely because of the time in between operations. I think every fifteen years is a very significant amount of time between surgery.

I may also choose the mechanical valve because there would be no or very little chance of rejection and the pig valve could fail because it's real tissue etc...
If you're not in any danger of dying before the age of 20-35 then I would wait. Why? Well money first of all. Secondly, you have a chance of dying during the surgery. I would also probably get the pig heart since you won't have to get surgery as often, unless there's a big difference in one being more effective.
I have a VSD, it's a small hole in my heart. I've had it since birth but it luckily doesn't affect me in any way.
(05-12-2010, 03:08 PM)Sam Wrote: [ -> ]I would choose the pig valve. Purely because of the time in between operations. I think every fifteen years is a very significant amount of time between surgery.

I may also choose the mechanical valve because there would be no or very little chance of rejection and the pig valve could fail because it's real tissue etc...

exactly, thats why im having a hard time choosing, i posteed this on HF and 11 ppl r dicks, see that i have a very legit problem and they ignore me Sad thanks for the support tho
Then maybe go for the mechanical one. This is because you can be pretty assured that there is hardly any risk of failure because of how advanced technology is today.

Also do you have any moral objections to a bit of pig being inside you? (Except Bacon)
(05-12-2010, 03:10 PM)Nemmyy Wrote: [ -> ]If you're not in any danger of dying before the age of 20-35 then I would wait. Why? Well money first of all. Secondly, you have a chance of dying during the surgery. I would also probably get the pig heart since you won't have to get surgery as often, unless there's a big difference in one being more effective.
I have a VSD, it's a small hole in my heart. I've had it since birth but it luckily doesn't affect me in any way.
lol
im canadian so i get free heath care, i took $15,000 worth of tests to conferm that i have this for free, i cant smoke because of this heart condision, or do most drugs, if i do a line of coke, ill drop dead
Well that seems fortunate. That's a good enough deterrent to keep you away from the bad stuff Tongue
(05-12-2010, 03:12 PM)Sam Wrote: [ -> ]Then maybe go for the mechanical one. This is because you can be pretty assured that there is hardly any risk of failure because of how advanced technology is today.

Also do you have any moral objections to a bit of pig being inside you? (Except Bacon)

ya lol idk how id live knowing theres an animal part keping me alive, but heart sergery every 5 years? id have the sergery thnen heall up for a good 3 yrs then i have 2 years left of being all good untill i need the sergery again.
It depends largely on the lifestyle you lead or intend to lead in the future.
(05-12-2010, 03:15 PM)JustHayden Wrote: [ -> ]ya lol idk how id live knowing theres an animal part keping me alive, but heart sergery every 5 years? id have the sergery thnen heall up for a good 3 yrs then i have 2 years left of being all good untill i need the sergery again.

That would be enough to have me get a pig's heart.
Pages: 1 2 3