Support Forums

Full Version: [TUT] Changing Brake Pads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Tutoral : Changing your own brake pads.

I'm not going to go too in depth with this, sorry xD

Brake pads often need changing, a good way to check is to take your car to a local mechanic for a service.

IMPORTANT
Make sure you read through the WHOLE tutorial (including additional information) before attempting to change your brake pads.
If it looks too hard for you, take it to your mechanic, maybe even watch them do it if possible.

Tools you need:

A C-clamp -- You use this to push the piston all the way in, to create a big enough gap for the new pad.
[Image: c_clamp_2.jpg]

A wrench to remove the caliper bolts -- Size varies upon vehicles.

A lug wrench or cross wrench -- To remove the nuts on the wheels.

Gloves -- To keep your hands clean (optional)

A dust mask and safety glasses -- For protection (optional)

A car jack -- To jack your car up off the ground.

New brake pads -- Obviously. Not all cars use the same type of brake pads, so you may want a second car hand so you can drive to the nearest auto store with one of your old pads to buy new ones of the same type.

What to do

Find a FLAT surface to do all of this, makes it much easier.
Once you have found a flat surface, park the car.
You may want to loosen the lug nuts on the wheels, although this is not recommended, it is a lot easier than loosening them when the car is in mid air.

Once you have decided if you want to loosen the lug nuts, or not, put the car's handbrake on, and start to jack up the first side of your car (there will be a space under the front door of your car where the jack should go).
Remove the lug nuts, and take the wheel off. (don't drop the wheel, as it will bounce)
You should now be able to clearly see the calliper.
[Image: Caliper_Decal_Step1.jpg]

To remove the calliper, you will see some small bolts on each side. Remove these bolts then slide out the cover of the calliper. (the calliper cover will be connected by the brake line, DO NOT TRY AND REMOVE THIS LINE! Also, do not let the cover hang by the brake line, rest the cover on something)
Inside here you will see your old brake pad, you can remove it. (remember the way the brake pad fits in the calliper)

Before you can install your new brake, you must use your c-clamp to push the piston out of the way. If you look into the calliper (where the old brake pad was) you will see a cylinder / tube poking through the side.
To push this back in, put the old brake pad back into the calliper, then put the c-clamp on the calliper (one point on the old brake pad, and one on the other side of the calliper). Tighten the c-clamp until you see enough room to fit the new brake pad in. Put the new brake pad in the same place as the old pad was.

Once the new pad is correctly inserted, re-attach the calliper cover, tighten the calliper bolts, and put the wheel back on. (DON'T FORGET THE LUG NUTS XD)

Once you have done both sides, keep the handbrake of the car on, and pump your brakes. You will notice they are very loose, this is because all of the air has been released when you took the old pad out. Once the brakes feel tight as the normally are, it is safe to drive your car again.

It is also a good thing if you test the brakes are working properly, and to not apply too much pressure to the brakes (unless needed) within the first few days of them being changed.

Additional Information

Mentioned by kmtrider530:
Quote:Don't set your park brake if you're working on your rear rotors.

If I've missed anything, please let me know! - I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.
Isn't that a G clamp?
I would suggest a few more pictures Tongue You wouldn't wanna fudge this up.

I found a pretty cool video tutorial the other day...
I think its called by both names, although the clamp I use for changing mine looks a bit different (I have no idea what it's called).

I will try add more pictures if I can find any, I don't really have the time to take my wheel off etc and take pictures since it's getting dark around 6PM here.
Nice tutorial mate, Usefull for people who have a car Big Grin
I only have one thing to add, don't set your park brake if you're working on your rear rotors. Now do one for how to replace brake shoes.
(04-22-2010, 03:34 AM)daneasaur Wrote: [ -> ]You will notice they are very loose, this is because all of the air has been released when you took the old pad out. Once the brakes feel tight as the normally are, it is safe to drive your car again.

It is also a good thing if you test the brakes are working properly, and to not apply too much pressure to the brakes (unless needed) within the first few days of them being changed.

I have a little to add here also, you shouldn't have ANY air in your brake lines at all, it's a sealed system, air is bad and if you have any in will cause your brakes to work very shitty, requiring you to bleed your brakes. The pressure you apply within the first few days really doesn't matter if your pads are on correctly.
I don't know how to replace brake shoes :p
This is about as far as my car talent comes.
(04-25-2010, 11:40 PM)daneasaur Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know how to replace brake shoes :p
This is about as far as my car talent comes.

Not to bad.
very nice thanks for this man
Nice TuT man...very usefull Tongue
When I get a car ill revert back to this tutorial if I need any help.
Pages: 1 2