Support Forums

Full Version: Need help talking to parents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hey SF. For a long time my parents have been under the mentality that the best way to rais a child is to attempt to shape them to be the ideal student and make sure that I don't have any free time to do anything dangerous. My parents have basicaly told me they would disown me if I didn't go to college. They are extremely unsupportive of my programming choices and take every opportunity they have to take away my computer. It's become the standard punishment.
Here is my question. How do I go about telling them I don't want to go to college, and that I really dot care about school in general. I'm currently doing well enough to be able to graduate on stage and get a diploma, but I really don't care wether or not I pass with flying colors. Graduation is all that matters to me. I don't care about what grades I get while doing it. What should I tell them, or should I tell them at all?
I don't think the 'I don't care about school' option would work out well. Maybe you should attempt to explain to them how programming is a great potential career, explain various career opportunities and make sure you mention they pay well.

Best of luck man.

Ethical
I've tried that and they just yelled at me and said I was being disrespectful, because I was "going against them". My dad is convinced that I do nothing productive whysoever, so he assigns me insane amounts of chores to make up for it. My mom kind of understands, but does nothing whatsoever to help me out.
Have you tried going about it really calmly? Sitting them down, maybe showing them some things, go to a great effort to prove you're right but don't sound cocky/arrogant.

Ethical
I've tried, but nothing.
Well, I don't see why you wouldn't want to go to college since you're so interested in programming. A career in Computer Science or Computer Engineering sounds ideal for you.
Your parents do sound terribly unsupportive. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can really do. Your parents have the responsibility of raising you the way they see fit, and this is what they think is fit. Whether or not it is "right" or "wrong" does not matter, because there is no law that says they cannot raise you this way. I agree that it's very unfair, and I feel for you. However, here's a question: Why WOULDN'T you go to college? You hit two birds with one stone: you secure a future doing something you like (computer programming), and you get away from them for four years. Having a professional job will allow you to gain an income to get away with them. Trust me, once you are away from them, it'll be very easy to tell them, "Look. This is what you did wrong. I tried to explain to you but you wouldn't hear it." and you can decide to move away from them if you wish, or even stop talking to them altogether. Once they are no longer the people supporting your natural needs (food, shelter, and so on), you have no reason to listen to their controlling behavior. While you are a child, you still have your own desires.
well i would definately like to go to college, it would be nice, but my parents are trying to get me to major in some other science, such as physics, which i do NOT want to do. they don't think i should involve computers in my education whatsoever.
Sounds like their strict. Just sit them down and explain what you what to do. And its YOUR life not THERES.

Just remember that.

GL !
(04-12-2010, 09:08 AM)Periwinkle Wrote: [ -> ]well i would definately like to go to college, it would be nice, but my parents are trying to get me to major in some other science, such as physics, which i do NOT want to do. they don't think i should involve computers in my education whatsoever.

It's up to you entirely. They have no say whatsoever.
Pages: 1 2 3 4