Support Forums

Full Version: Spanking children as a means of discipline.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hello. This is from a teen's view, as I'm 15. However, I'm sure some of SF's users are parents, so hopefully this isn't a one sided discussion. The point of this topic is to discuss whether or not you think spanking should be used as a disciplinary method against children.

Imo, some kids can be reasoned with, and some can't. If a child won't reason with communication, then you of course have to try alternatives. I once saw on the news where a woman made her 14 year old son and 8 year old daughter stand on the highway holding signs saying what they had done. For example, she made the boy hold a sign saying, "I'll never have a girlfriend because I can't respect my mother." and the girl's sign had something to do with theft, 'cause she had shoplifted like 3 times. I think this would work well. Call me cruel, but what works, works.

I think spanking should be a last resort, but if it comes to that, then so be it. The only problem I have with spanking is it will probably teach a child that hitting people is okay. I know that might sound ridiculous, and maybe it does, since there're of course circumstances when violence is indeed justified. But, usually, kids can't discern things like that. Maybe I don't give toddlers enough credit, but it doesn't seem they'd be able to deduce "ok, in this situation, hitting is not okay" or not.

What do you think? Please be civil.
Well, I think spanking kids is not a bad idea nor good idea tho.. We can try to talk to the kids first.. If they didn't even bother to do/obey what we said to them (couple of times saying the same thing maybe), they spank them.. It's the last resort to teach them a lessons..

P/s : I'm not a daddy.. lol..
Well, I think spanking is effective as I grew to be a good follower of law.
I was a kid who couldn't be reasoned with but was never hit, I would get grounded and still leave the house when I was older and stuff like that, words cant hurt me and it was hard to hold any punishment down because I was persistent, imo if I had a child like I was I would beat the crap out of them, like what else can you do lol.

I was also sent to a disciplinary boot camp for a month, randomly drug tested and then eventually kicked out. Rebel 4 lyf.
I don't think violence should be used against kids. If kids won't listen to the parents, its parent's on fault. They have raised inpropperly then.
I never spank my children. If i will spank my children everytime they do something wrong, Then my kids wont love me. They will hate me instead and they maybe run away from home and drinks alcoholic or start take drugs or something like that. I don't know whats going to happend if i start spanking them. But as father i won't hurt my own kids! I thinks that's terrible.
Some people just don't want to listen, or can't be reasoned with with normal communication. A spanking certainly deters people, if you think that last spanking hurt, am i going to do something wrong? The answer is probably not.
(04-09-2010, 06:24 AM)MarkW7 Wrote: [ -> ]Some people just don't want to listen, or can't be reasoned with with normal communication. A spanking certainly deters people, if you think that last spanking hurt, am i going to do something wrong? The answer is probably not.

Yes, but spanking doesn't teach the child WHY it was wrong. They will then think, "I won't call my sister stupid, because I don't want my dad to spank me." not "I won't call my sister stupid, because it'll hurt her feelings." The latter is much better imo.
I don't support hitting children as a disciplinary method; although i'm sixteen.
I believe it is acceptable. Time outs spoil kids, not saying it should be used for small things, but there are times that require it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9