Support Forums

Full Version: Long story
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well basically this is a combination of both work and home related.

About a month and a half ago I was arrested. The original charge was for identity theft(keep reading not what you think), the reason I was charged was because of the information that was going through my home computer connection to my work. The reason I was uploading and downloading was so that I can do some work through my home, I presently work at Bluecross and blueshield of Illinois, My job details include database management and security.

I have been working for them for about 2 years now and they have paid for everything including my verizon buisness connection. Well apparently verizon thought that the patriot act meant that they could monitor what I was doing. So what they saw was me accessing secure servers that are relating to alot of personal information. So them trying to do the honest thing instead of emailing me to confirm whether or not I was doing anything illegal they notify my local police department. Then my local police department notifies the FBI. Keep in mind I do not blame the police nor the fbi for what they did as they were doing there jobs.

So it was a monday morning at about 8am to be exact I get a knock on my door, my wife decides that she will be the one to get up and answer it. All of a sudden I hear search warrant and cops come barging into my bedroom. At this point I am still half asleep trying to collect what was exactly happening. They had stated that they had reasons to beleive that I was commiting cyber crimes and that I was being charged with Identity theft and also having "hacktools" on my computer. So as they were searching my house they had confiscated everything that could possibly transmit data over the net. My computers/laptops, my blackberry and my moto droid. About an hour into the search I was finally on the way to the police station where I would be questioned.

So as I was sitting in the interrogation room I was being asked questions like who do I work for, why did I do it. Still not knowing exactly why I was being charged, I played the dumb card(well not played I was still dumb to the fact on why I was arrested) At this time I was then told that it would take me 100,000 cash to be able to bond out. I told them to let me make my phone call to my boss. Who is the VP of information security for all locations of Bluecross within the USA.

So as I am waiting to finally hear some good news from the police I find out that even if I bail/bond out, I will not even be able to leave as I have a federal hold on me. Well the vp of information security lives in Vermont, so I had to wait for him to fly in to chicago. meanwhile I am getting processed to goto county jail. So about 1 in the afternoon I am finally transfered from the local police to the custody of the winnebago county corrections(sherrifs) Were I get fully processed as if I was a criminal.
I had to spend the night in jail needless to say I was unhappy. The next morning I get a meeting with the Fbi to discuss what had happened. I had a lawyer appointed to me from bluecross to handle the matter. The lawyer had explained the situation and after about 2 hours of talking to 2 people who seem like to not even know a thing about computers decide that the charges should be dropped. So here I am still with the charge of identity theft and having hacktools from my local police department. Still waiting for another bond hearing this takes 4 days.

Apparently at this point the state of Illinois thought that they could still be able to successfully convict me of the chareges that they have set fourth. So now I am going on 5 days in jail waiting for the bond to reach 10k to walk out. Well the weekend comes around and it is now the following monday. I have my final bond hearing in which the judge decides to drop it to the amount that I wanted. I post the bond and am finally out of the hell whole.

The following day I have my first actual court case relating to the case. Both me and my lawyer had stated that there is some evidence that they are not allowed to look at 1. was my buiness laptop and 2. was my corporate blackberry, we had stated that they should be released to the custody of either the lawyer or management of bluecross. Well states attorney then stated there "might" be some evidence relating to the case in those items. Judge agreed with the states attorney........

So here I am over a month and a half into the court precedings and still no word on what exactly is going to happen. charges have been lowered but I am waiting to start trial as I did nothing wrong.
Verizon had illegally monitored what I was doing. The only reason they could've pryed into my information was if they had received a warrant FIRST from the police to do so. Which they didn't so I am at the point to were after this is all said and done I am going to sue verizon for wrongful imprisonment and violating privacy laws. Bluecross is gathering the case to sue verizon for invasion of privacy breaching the security of peoples identies and a few other things.
I have received 2 letters of apology from verizon I have told them to go fudge them selves BOTH times.

I know it took a long time but lets sum things up
1. I work for bluecross doing information security
2. I transfer data between me and my work from home
3. I have hack tools on my buisness computer to check the security of bluecros
3.a) Hacktools serve a legal purpose if used for legal ways
4. I was arrested for doing my job
5. Verizon illegally monitored my internet
6. Illinois states attorneys are morons

Yea who ever thought that you could be doing something completly legal and still get arrested. Doing something that protects everyone that has bluecross insurance. Kind of makes you think

Oh and the funny part of it is that bluecross and verizon had a contract for their health insurance. Pretty much safe to say verizon kinda fudged that up.
I'm sorry all that happened to you. Hopefully you sue Verizon for a large enough amount.
Wow that must of been some ride. Can't believe they didn't realize that you were innocent earlier.

Morons.
Sorry about that mate.. The method of using hack tools to check for the security is true lol.. Need to test & check where's the vulnerability to patch it up.. Well, look at the bright sight, you got some experience getting busted lol.. ^_^
Wow. That's pretty bad. Lets hope you win Thumbsup
Hopefully get a couple k from your provider Tongue
Wow dude....Verizon just rode a huge fail train that crashed into a wall....
That's a very long story. Non
(04-08-2010, 02:52 PM)Sam Wrote: [ -> ]Wow that must of been some ride. Can't believe they didn't realize that you were innocent earlier.

Morons.
Well the FBI realized it after I had several vice presidents call them demanding my release. The local police think that they still have a case because owning a hack tool is considered illegal(well thats how the interepted the law) It was funny my last court date the tried to say for my plea bargin
1. 3 years probation
2. 90 days in jail
3. if I violate my probation I goto prison
4. Not allowed to use computers while on probation

I told them to fudge themselves.
(04-08-2010, 03:04 PM).//Xypher Wrote: [ -> ]Wow dude....Verizon just rode a huge fail train that crashed into a wall....

At this point I kindof feel sorry for the employees at verizon as alot of them will lose there health care benifets if bluecross decides to cancel them. The only reason this has not hit the news yet is because I want my name cleared before. People don't realize how someone like me can lose 100's of jobs in my future because of a false accusation.
(04-08-2010, 02:55 PM)Sam Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully get a couple k from your provider Tongue

I will get more then a couple of thousand when I am all said and done. It was invasion of privacy, The cause to false imprisonment/ and alot of punitive damages. It will be some where along the lines of 100-200,000 not including what Bluecross will sue them for. Verizon pretty much made a 5-10million dollar mistake
(04-08-2010, 02:54 PM)MyFolder Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry about that mate.. The method of using hack tools to check for the security is true lol.. Need to test & check where's the vulnerability to patch it up.. Well, look at the bright sight, you got some experience getting busted lol.. ^_^

Why would I need some experience getting busted. Everything that I owned wasn't stolen, everything that I have done I earned the honest way. I pay my bills, obey the laws. The only people who need experience from getting busted are people who actually do something to get busted.
Owning a hacking tool is illegal in Illinois? I don't think so! I live in Illinois too and you can go to any number of retail computer stores such as Frye's Electronics or a "spy store" and BUY rats, keyloggers, spoof calling cards, GPS devices for phones and all kinds of things, right off the shelf!

For Verizon to monitor your phone without a court order? That's not just invasion of privacy, that's wire-taping and is SO highly illegal, that even the President of the United States doesn't have the authority -- as evidenced by the fact that Nixon was impeached and forced to step down from office!

Yeah, that's pretty bad. Good luck with your lawsuit!
Pages: 1 2 3