Support Forums

Full Version: Major OverHeating problems.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just thought I would post this to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Yesterday, my car was running fine. Perfect tbh, no temp problems, running smooth and it was just all good.
Today I'm driving to school and I notice its running 3 times hotter then normal. I made it to school with the bar just above 3/4 (a bit below red).
So I go to drive straigh to the petrol station to check it out and save some embarrasment in front of school mates. Also, I would be able to get some coolant from here.
I got about 1/3 of the way there and my temp gauge had only just started to move (which is pretty normal). But as soon as it did move, it didn't stop. I managed to get to the servo about with the needle about 2mm below the red zone.
I park the car, look under the bonnet and to my surprise, there was 0 coolant left!! I only checked it last week and there was plenty left!!
And keep in mind tha tit was working fine yesterday, so something happened since then that fudged it over.
I got my dad to come out and help me troubleshoot, he brought some coolant to save me buying a 5L tub I will probably never need.
We filled up the radiator and the coolant tank (just a bit above full) after the engine had cooled out, and poured some water into the battery because my level was a bit low anyway.
I took off once again watching the gauge with a close eye. This time it jumped to 1/2 about 1mile up the road. I thought fudge, but continued to move because I knew the air would be cooling it down and if I stopped before I got home it would probably push it into red and I would have to wait until the thing cooled down again (at least an hour).
By the time I got home it was about 1mm off the red.
I walked away to get ready for work, and came back about 5 minutes later to get my phone, and guess what. the coolant was literally boiling. I didn't want to touch it just in case the thing released a whole lot of pressure when i touched it so I left it. I came back 20 min later and all the coolant had gone again. But it wasn't on the ground so it wasn;t leaking. Something is sucking it up, whilst the car is off.

WTF?!

Anyone had this before? I checked the oil to see if the head gasket had blown or something but it seemed fine (yet again it was in the dark).

Heres a car that I really wanna get:
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/priv...72FA355130

Yes, its a wobmobile, and yes, it has had the turbo removed. But I like it.
Sounds like it may be your head-gasket your juice is definitely burning up somewhere and if you can't see it leaking anywhere gotta be your head gasket. Do you smell anything when your car is running such as anti-freeze or a sweet smell?
Ummm, not a sweet smell. More just like the strong smell of an old engine (fuel and greeses). Nothing too out of the ordinary.
The car is a '90 Hilux btw.
Hmmm All I can really say is fill her up with anti-freeze turn her on and let her heat up to normal or just over and keep a good eye under your hood specifically to see if any hoses are broken and leaking onto your engine block and burning up the juice if so, that's your problem more than likely. If not just take it to a auto repair shop. Maybe your thermostat is broken and sticking to I guess that could keep all the anti freeze in your engine from escaping back to the reservoir.
Looked at the oil this morning. It's milky.
fudge.

Think its my head gasket. I have a diesel mechanic going to look at it when he gets home (its not a diesel, but its for free so...)
If it's your head gasket, you will have some serious power issues, and you car will idol really rough. Depending on the year of your vehicle, you will smoke white also out your exhaust. If it's fairly new, your cat will just absorb and reburn all of it so you won't be able to tell that way. Have your mechanic do a compression test on your cylinders. If it's a head gasket, you will have a severe pressure leak in two or more cylinders.
mmmm, performance wasn't lacking. The only thing wrong was the over heating.
Still waiting for my friend to come out and have a look at it. I've been really busy and haven't had time to fix it.
I just assumed it was the gasket because the oil and water had mixed, and I naturally assumed the worst Tongue
Hopefully its just a pipe or something...
Yeah, i bet it's like an intake manifold gasket or something simple like that. Because if it's your head gasket, you will notice a severe power loss, because all the anti freeze is going into your piston and trying to burn with the fuel/air.
You shouldn't ever have antifreeze in your oil that i'm aware of, are you sure it's not normal? And if it's not, smell it and check if it's gasoline.
I don't think it is.
And I'm not sure if theres a difference, but we use coolant in aus, not anti freeze.
I don't understand what you mean by the 2nd sentence.
One more thing check your carpets and under your dash to make sure your antifreeze isnt leaking there if it is your heater core may be bad
Pages: 1 2 3