Support Forums

Full Version: Need help with my Career
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

So, i want to ask you a question

I am 12 years old (almost 13) in the 7th grade, and i love Computers (I Already Program and Develop Applications and everything Tongue).

anyways, i just wanted to ask,

well, uhh.... i live in Cairo, Egypt (no, we don't ride camels to school)
and well, i am thinking about my career right now, i want to go to a good university outside my country (Like MIT)

The problem is that i want to get a scholarship to study aboard outside, can someone in the US tell me how it's done or something? (also if outside US, i don't mind Tongue)

Thanks,
-Lareak

p.s. My English is not bad, i am just typing so fast (with bad grammar) because i want to go eat now, i will fix the grammar later.

International Exchanges are done by going to university, and then applying for it. My cousin (Sorry if i type this wrong by Scundarali sorry if thats bad) did that. I think it is only for a year.
Hello.
First off, it might be against the rules to be under 13. I know it is on hackforums. Maybe this board is different.

In the US, most colleges require either an ACT score, a SAT score, or both. Some even require what's called "Sat II Tests" or "Sat Subject Tests". Let me explain the ACT and SAT first, though. They are basically standardized tests that don't really test your knowledge, but your ability to reason, manage time, and interpret information that you are given. For example, it's OK that I don't know the periodic table, as long as I can understand the information that a word problem has on it.

Sorry, that's a bad comparison, but I'm sure you know what I mean anyway. My point is, I don't know how you would take these tests. I know that the SAT offers international tests, but I dunno if Egypt is a supported country.
EDIT: I just checked. I think this link will help you. You're lucky you live in Cairo; I doubt that any other location within Egypt is supported.
http://www.amideast.org/programs_service...s/satI.htm

Some things I suggest is that you perfect your English. Clearly you won't speak it like a native, but if you can't understand what the professors are saying, then it won't do you much good to be there Tongue Obviously you speak it well. I'm just saying this as a precaution, because I probably can write Swedish as well as you can English, but my understanding of its spoken part sucks -_-

Another thing is, MIT is a difficult university to get into. I understand that that was probably just an example, but if you do want to go to MIT, you need to prepare yourself appropriately. It's a very competitive school. I'm sure you're capable of being admitted; anyone is. It's just, it requires self-determination that most people don't have. I myself don't =P

As for actually studying in the US in general, you should check this out:
http://www.educationusa.info/students.php

It has information on how to apply, scholarships, and so on, I believe. Also, keep in mind that almost no one pays for their college fees directly, unless they have very wealthy parents. In my case, a lot of my college will be paid for, because the university that I plan to go to is not very expensive at all. I'm native American, and my tribe (Cherokee) pays for a lot of students' fees if they are native American.

But, for example, my oldest brother went to a moderately expensive university for his freshman year (that's the first year), and he's having to pay back a seven thousand dollar loan. The type of loan that he took states that he does not have to pay it back until 6 months after graduating, and that it won't build interest while he is studying.

I was writing more, and then I went to sleep and have lost my train of thought.
You have to be 13 to be a member here. Your account is now closed. You were asked this on signup.