Support Forums

Full Version: Ensure you get a propper tune-up.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, occasionally people will take there cars to a mechanic and have him do a full tune-up, though i feel as if people should do these things them selves, some don't have the desire to learn. So, this is what you need to ask the mechanic to do:

1.Change the fuel filter. This is an important part of the fuel system, and if it clogs it will leave you stranded. This is USUALLY located within three feet of your fuel tank, on the way to the engine.

2.Change spark plugs and wires. Now, this isn't the most important thing out there, but it will help with horsepower and fuel mileage by providing optimum combustion.

3.Have valves adjusted. Ya know how sometimes you see oil sitting on top of you're engine? This is a sign of a leak, have them adjusted for optimum fuel combustion.

4.Replace belts. If you ave a whining or squealing under your hood, it's usually a belt, so have them replaced. Usually pretty cheap. If they break, again you will be stranded.

5.Have oil changed. Now, you want this changed about every 3,000-5,000 miles. But, check it first, if it's cleen why the hell waste money? right?

6.Have you're air filter changed. This is the breathing system of you're car. You need it clean for best horsepower and fuel mileage.

6.Service you're battery, just have it cleaned, if needed add distilled water. You want this working as good as i possibly can. Replace if you feel the need.

Well, there ya go. This is what you need to look for when getting a "full service" or when doing it your self.

As always, i hope this helps and PM for any tutorials you would like to see. Feel free to add anything to this list, if you feel i missed something.
very good advice for everyone who own any vehicles.
I can see few things missed.

It is important to check brakes pads and brake system to make sure it is working right.
check coolant system.
check transmission and clutch to make sure it is works and don't need any replacements.
transmission need servicing sometimes.
check air in your tires to make sure you have enough air in your tires.
Those are not part of a standard tune up, and you will need to ask for them specifically. But yes, they are also important.
Yeah, I know how to do all that, but most of it's included in the price of the standard $19 oil change, which includes the oil and new filter, so why bother? Checking all that stuff and recommending replacements is how they make their sales -- $19 oil changes alone don't begin to cover their operating expenses, much less earn a profit.

Sure, I know how to gap and replace spark plugs, but frankly, they're screwed in there pretty tight and are in some pretty hard to get to spots, and I just don't like getting that frustrated. Not when I can pay $50 and go bike riding instead.

Aside from which, if I did it all myself and others did as well, my garage might go out of business and I want it to stay, right where it is. I feel I've torqued down enough engines.

But for those who haven't, it's a good guide! Thanks!
Yeah, this could help alot of people out.
I do my own mechanical maintenance on my Ute and Motorbike so i know it is done properly.