Support Forums

Full Version: The most popular programming language
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I thought the thread should go here, since the winner is Java. According to http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/p...index.html , Java is the most popularly used language in the world. "The ratings are based on the number of skilled engineers world-wide, courses and third party vendors."

Here is my analysis(doubt anyone will care :p)C is right behind Java which is pretty obvious due to its execution speed and age, and PHP just passed C++, most likely because of how web oriented it is. A language called "Objective-C' Which i have never heard of, has moved from 35th to 13th in a year. Also Lua is surprisingly in last, which is weird considering it is used in WoW. In ten years I hope to see Python in 1st. What do you guys think about this list?

Credits:
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/p...index.html
Think it's pretty normal that Java is first, considering it's widely used in businesslife nowadays, plus the fact it's developing very fast.

.net framework does a pretty good job, but being windows only (almost), it's pretty restricting.

They shouldn't have compared scriptlanguages and programminglanguages though..
I would of thought so; considering most phone based applications use Java, don't they?
(01-09-2010, 06:30 PM)trilobyte- Wrote: [ -> ]I would of thought so; considering most phone based applications use Java, don't they?

Yeh, most phones have the java framework installed, which makes it easy for programmers to create something portable for a phone.

Also, GUIs nowadays are easy to create in java. In the past, it was a little harder to create some eyecandy, but today, it's easy and appealing.

The fact that it's platform independant probably one of the best properties..
it surprises me that PHP isn't! But yes with Java you can do a lot.
(01-09-2010, 07:44 PM)Zomaian Wrote: [ -> ]it surprises me that PHP isn't! But yes with Java you can do a lot.

I guess php is widely used, but it's still browser only, being it a scriptlanguage. Java is applications + browsertasks.

I would like to know why C is ahead of C++..
i dont doubt that for a second! java is worldwide!
(01-10-2010, 06:21 AM)Qkyrie Wrote: [ -> ]I guess php is widely used, but it's still browser only, being it a scriptlanguage. Java is applications + browsertasks.

I would like to know why C is ahead of C++..
C++ is too hard :[ lol. Im not really sure but I do know that C executes faster but I think it's weird since C++ is OOP and its more powerful(or so i hear)
But they are all used for their own things. I don't know why people insist on comparing languages like this.
You just can't compare PHP and C++. You cannot compare Perl and Assembly. You're comparing spoons with forks as if they were made for the same thing.
Unfortunately, in the world of programming there's not really a spork. C(++), Objective-C, Java and PHP are everywhere.
You'll find Objective-C in iPod and iPhone apps, you'll find Java just about anywhere in other phones, you'll find PHP all over the Internet and C(++) mostly in software and such. I hope no one uses this "language popularity contest" as a deciding factor in their decision on what programming language they'll learn.
My advice to beginners: use everything.
In short words:

you cannot compare apples and oranges
[Image: 180px-Apple_and_Orange_-_they_do_not_compare.jpg]