Support Forums

Full Version: Dodgey charger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey

Its not really a major problem, more of an annoyance. Basically, when I plug my charger into my laptop I find that it runs from the AC Adaptor but it does not charge, if I look at my power status it says: Plugged in, not charging.

I read a few articles and found that it may be a problem with the wattage of the charger, so I restarted my PC with the charger connected and I was presented with a message, it told me to connect a genuine dell charger with the correct wattage to get the best charging performance. I pressed F1 to continue anyway and found I still had the problem.

Yet sometimes I plug in the charger and it is fine.

Anybody had any problems like this before? Thoughs, opinions, questions, solutions all welcome Smile
Have you checked the computer/power cord to see if the wattage matches?
I have a similar problem with my HP. Unless my AC adapter is plugged in, my computer will die; my battery no longer charges. Perhaps it's a problem with your battery? Or maybe there's a short in your cord.
Hm. Did you try to contact Dell support? I am sure they can help you.
(10-06-2009, 03:25 PM)joey23art Wrote: [ -> ]Have you checked the computer/power cord to see if the wattage matches?

Yep, it matches.

(10-06-2009, 03:31 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: [ -> ]I have a similar problem with my HP. Unless my AC adapter is plugged in, my computer will die; my battery no longer charges. Perhaps it's a problem with your battery? Or maybe there's a short in your cord.

I hope not Sad. A possibility though.

(10-07-2009, 12:45 PM)St0rmW1nd Wrote: [ -> ]Hm. Did you try to contact Dell support? I am sure they can help you.

I will soon, I don't like doing this as they speak to you like you are completly thick. Thanks for all the replies; I will keep trying.
Holy, what type of Dell computer do you have? I own many different Dell Laptops (Some old, some new) and there are a few models of older models with battery defects. (Girlfriend and her mothers' laptops in general) In my opinion (especially if it is newner year, not older) you need to call Dell *ASAP*

Click this to call Dell Technical Support

Or your second option would be to

Enter your service tag and speak with a Dell Representative over 'chat'

Blackhat
yer it would be helpfull to no what dell you have and a simlarer thing happened to my dell inspirion 1300 never found the problem i just tend to avoid dells these days
Well, sorry to bump an old thread but I thought that people may stumble upon this from Google so I better say how it turned out. Basically, I had to buy a new charger, contacted Dell Support and like I thought was spoke to like a retard, they told me I would have to buy a new charger and I did.
Did the new charger work? Because from what it sounds like it is probably your battery. If you are using a dell charger then it should work. I had a similar problem with my dell laptop and I bought a new battery and everything worked fine.
Mine isn't dodgy, but mine broke easily. It hasn't broke yet but the wiring is about to snap.
Pages: 1 2