Support Forums

Full Version: How to install a lift kit.[Full Tut]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys, i got a request on how to install a lift kit. So, as promised here it is. Enjoy. Sorry for not having pictures. But if you are installing a lift kit on your own, you must have some know-how on a car.

step 1. Lift your truck up on a jack, secure it with jack stands.

Step 2.Take off your wheels with a lug wrench, or
air ratchet, what ever you have at hand should due.

Step 3. Disconnect the sway bar link from the lower control arm on each side of the truck.

Step 4.Unbolt the outer tie rod ends as well as the lower bolt through the shock/coil assembly.

Step 6.Take off the upper nuts on the shock absorber that connects it to the upper shock tower. There are usually four of them.

Step 6.Disconnect the coil and strut assembly from each tire.

Step 7.Write down the alignment of the top plate of the strut studs to the lower shock hole. You'll need to know this before compressing the spring or else you will need to install the lift kit all over again, trust me you don't want to do this lol

Step 8.Use a spring compressor to compress the springs on each tire. Not every one has one of these, you might have to buy one from napa or some place similar.

Step 9.Remove the top nut, top plate and rubber isolator from each shock array.

Step 10.Install the new main spacer and plate studs on each shock array.

Step 11.Reassemble the top plate and rubber isolator, tightening the top nut over them.

Step 12.Connect the new assembly for each shock back to the vehicle, MAKE SURE you align each one according to the notes you made when you wrote down the configuration of the strut studs' top plate.

Step 13.Detach the skid plates from the car, taking care to keep track of the bolts. Use a floor jack to hold up the differential while you remove the bolts that support it.

Step 14 Install the small spacers between the differential supports and the cross sections.

Step 15 Tighten the nuts and bolts until they are tight, make sure you don't over tighten them, they will break.

Step 16. Put the skid plate back on.

Step 17.Check to see that you haven't left any bolts or screws off of the vehicle.

Now, if you put bigger wheels and tires on after the install you will want to have you speedometer calibrated for that size wheels. Bring it to a local shop for this. Sorry, i have never done it before.

Well, i hope you enjoyed this little tut. Again, always feel free to PM me for any tutorial you may need.

EDIT: as always, if you need help with anything, don't be afraid to ask.
Nice tutorial if only I had my own car.
But nice and detailed step by step.
Thanks man, you can find many cars for very cheap if you don't care about quality and looks.
I'm not old enough :S
Oh, yeh. I didn't know that.
Not many people would ;) by me just posting on a forum.
Don't lift kits make you use more gas?
(12-07-2009, 05:08 PM)WMM Wrote: [ -> ]Not many people would ;) by me just posting on a forum.
Don't lift kits make you use more gas?

Depends, on my jeep you saw it did because of my new wheels and tires.
The only time it would really ever effect fual mileage would be on the highway.
Because you lose a a lot of aerodynamics.
Now, a body lift will cause your u-joints to go out frequently. But that's about all.
Oh cool you go off roading or something?
(12-07-2009, 05:17 PM)WMM Wrote: [ -> ]Oh cool you go off roading or something?

Nope, nothing i own right now has ever been off the pavement while i own it.
Other than like a smooth dirt road. I bought the jeep as summer ride, i take the top off. Off reading breaks stuff, then i have to fix it lol
If you do it right you could install a easily attachable top but that may get pricey.
Pages: 1 2