Support Forums

Full Version: how did you learn php?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
trying to get some opinions on what you folks did to learn php. I'm trying to get into php & mysql and struggling to find some good sites to use for tutorials and such.

I have a php pdf printed out, but it doesn't explain the code that they're writing very well.
In theory, I would say ... http://www.w3schools.com/PHP/php_intro.asp
W3Schools !

But in practice, you can try to code something, whatever, a website or something like this, and learn little by little how it works Tongue
W3Schools, books, messing about on a localhost.
I used WAMP(can't believe I was using windows back then) and one of those beginner php books. I wrote a port scanner, it was for sure a kickstart into programming. Although my first recursive function was written in javascript.
yea i'm using W3Schools and then I'll probably get a book to teach me more proper programming methods in PHP
Self taught from years of use. I still don't consider myself a professional coder. I am probably above average.

I mostly learned from using various open source scripts and modifying them. Eventually being brave enough to code mods (phpbb and oscommerce). I am pretty close to ready for creating a project from scratch.
w3schools is what i always use when starting off a web language. then i go and practice on my own.
I'm still Learning PHP!

I used to download Open Source codes, and recode them to do something different but kind of same. Tongue
I've also tried to code some mods for phpBB2, but yeah...... Let's say it wasn't my thing!

My Homepage was set to Speed Dial add-on for firefox (opera default Big Grin ), first page was http://www.php.net followed by Google.... etc..
Search what ever you can think of and, learn from it
Currently learning by this guy on youtube named bucky, type the new boston php vidoes on youtube. He is very helpful and explains everything. Its better then reading a book because you have visual examples of someone else doing it. He also teaches you how to program in ,c++,python and java in other videos. Go check him out.
Well, it's the same as when I learned CSS and XHTML. I just started editing things, and it eventually culminating into me editing larger portions. However, I'm still quite new to PHP. I'm more of a C++ guy ;)
Pages: 1 2