Support Forums

Full Version: A basic paint job?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone. On my quest to own as many vehicles as possible before the age of 18 i just bought another truck lol So, this is a 1/2 ton chevy. A 1990. It has a pretty good body. One dent in the rear i can pop out myself. Any way. She needs a paint job. So, is something like maako worth it? Or should i just sand it down, and bring it to a shop? I'm looking for under $500.
Thanks.
Take it to the shop, if you fudge it up you'll wish you had Tongue
Hi my Bro I have some knowledge in regards to auto resprays, But first I just have to ask what do you mean by maako? this may just be a translation error because I am from a different country to you. But I can maybe be quite helpfull to you with this task.

B@nNeD
Well, i will for sure bring it to a shop. But maako is pretty much a 2nd rate cheap paint job. www.maaco.com I hear both good and bad things about them.
I would def. sand it down...(save you $50) thing is though I know from where I am at full body paint job
(i.e. strip the car and paint inside doors under the hood ect.) Cost about 750$ regardless of what color or make of paint.
I will sand everything down myself. And no, they have paint jobs advertised for $200 and up. Now, i'm not looking for show quality. I'm going to lift it and hack off the mufflers. I live in Montana so it will be abused.
ah nice so lucky then.. Chicago Land area is expensive then again I may just need to know a guy lol
Hi there KTM 530 good old uncle B@nNeD is back on the scene. I have not forgotten you I have just been involved in some legal matters latley & I still have my freedom. Much has happened in my life latley but I have beaten all problems presented before me so I thought I'd stop by & see how you are going, Good I hope & also it's good to see you have gained some +rep since we last spoke & have been given a medal aswell I have noticed. I'm happy for you my Bro good work you deserve it.

Now in regards to a respray if you have all necessary equipement to do this I would reccomend using an enamel paint as appossed to an acrylic paint. Acrylic paint can be rather difficult especially if you have only limited experiance with respray's as they can be a little powdery when applied. But enamels will give you a good high gloss finish wich always looks better, Now if you intend on sanding the vehicle back to bare metal I would suggest using a good quality fish-oil sealer. Now this will help prevent premature rusting of any expossed metal surfaces, Then use a good quality etch preimer over your fish oil coat this will help stop any rust that may show-up later after painting. Now I could go into a very detailed explanation but it my be quite long to read. But if you would like a good detailed tutorial on this matter I will do one just for you to try & help you with this queation. If you are interested just let me Know & I will do the best I can for you my Bro.

Happy to be back

B@nNeD