Support Forums

Full Version: Problems with school
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I'm normally not into posting personal stuff online but I don't really have another option to get some opinions on this.

I've been having a really hard time lately in school with anxiety and stuff and I haven't been able to get much work done in the past 2 weeks. I recently switched to online school because I was having this problem in traditional school last year and the year before. I am really intelligent and I have the capacity to get A's and learn the material I just have an issue with getting the work done. I thought the switch to online school would help this problem but it hasn't.

I'm really tempted to plan for dropping out when I turn 16 (in March) and getting my GED either then (If I can get an age waiver) or when I turn 18. I know that that's not what I should do so I'm looking for alternative options.

As strange as it sounds one of my "Dream jobs" involves 18 wheels and a truckers hat (did I give it away?). Other careers I would enjoy are the military and CSI (My dad runs the CSI for my county so I would be able to get in fairly easily once I got the required degree). I know that all of those are going to call for more than a GED so I would really appreciate some advice/ help.

I have a long way to go before I finish school and I'm not looking forward to it.

I think that I may actually be able to become a trucker with a GED...anyone know for sure?
I know drop outs that are truckers. You just don't get the job easy. TO be completely honest, stay in school. If someone see you have been trying hard for years, and only getting a small result, they know your a hard worker trying to make it at least. Dropping out is a terrible thing. Because when you do, its almost harder to get back into it. Also you learn better the younger you are.
Stay in school dude. Your dad works for the CSI. STAY IN SCHOOL!!
(11-23-2009, 12:10 AM)Socrates Wrote: [ -> ]Stay in school dude. Your dad works for the CSI. STAY IN SCHOOL!!

Can you come up with something constructive?
With the economy the way it is, there isn't as much of a demand for even truckers in most places. Less things are being sold, and a result of that, is less need of moving things. Truckers are out of work as well. Best thing in the crappy economy is the military. But, since everyone realizes that, it's over strenghted and as such, the military is picky and taking less and less GED's. I talked to a recruiter friend of mine yesterday and he told me his station isn't even accepting any one with a GED this fiscal year and probably not next one (army fiscal years run oct 1 - sep 30 each year). Yes PaNiK there was a thread very similar to this, but, this wasn't the main discussion, it was an off shoot.

You need to find the root cause of your anxiety and work on that. Dropping out is a short term solution that is a long term disaster. If you're not willing to study for school, what makes you think you'll be willing to study for a CDL? Study for the ASVAB? Study for any college?
(11-25-2009, 12:14 AM)Grizzly Wrote: [ -> ]With the economy the way it is, there isn't as much of a demand for even truckers in most places. Less things are being sold, and a result of that, is less need of moving things. Truckers are out of work as well. Best thing in the crappy economy is the military. But, since everyone realizes that, it's over strenghted and as such, the military is picky and taking less and less GED's. I talked to a recruiter friend of mine yesterday and he told me his station isn't even accepting any one with a GED this fiscal year and probably not next one (army fiscal years run oct 1 - sep 30 each year). Yes PaNiK there was a thread very similar to this, but, this wasn't the main discussion, it was an off shoot.

You need to find the root cause of your anxiety and work on that. Dropping out is a short term solution that is a long term disaster. If you're not willing to study for school, what makes you think you'll be willing to study for a CDL? Study for the ASVAB? Study for any college?

Thanks, I really appreciate the real feedback. I definitely need to figure out where all this is coming from. I don't really want to close too many options this early. I guess I'm gonna be stuck doing school work for the next 3 years though. I think I'm gonna just stop thinking of school as the main part of my day (I go online so I can do that) and focus on some of my online hobbies as my "Main Event" and getting school done as more of a chore on the side (still getting it done of course Smile ). Now I'm just thinking through the keyboard but I do appreciate your help in this.
(11-25-2009, 12:14 AM)Grizzly Wrote: [ -> ]With the economy the way it is, there isn't as much of a demand for even truckers in most places. Less things are being sold, and a result of that, is less need of moving things. Truckers are out of work as well. Best thing in the crappy economy is the military. But, since everyone realizes that, it's over strenghted and as such, the military is picky and taking less and less GED's. I talked to a recruiter friend of mine yesterday and he told me his station isn't even accepting any one with a GED this fiscal year and probably not next one (army fiscal years run oct 1 - sep 30 each year). Yes PaNiK there was a thread very similar to this, but, this wasn't the main discussion, it was an off shoot.

I agree with him...
Why did you drop out of school? Maybe other things are on your mind... try to get them out, specially girls...
Well, dude... I think you should stay in school; that would be the right thing to do. But to be honest; getting a GED and notas buenas is better then going through school regularly and getting notas malas. You could stand a chance with a GED, unless you straighten up in regular school; then you stand a better chance with the regular school.
(12-13-2009, 08:46 PM)Аноним Интерфейс Wrote: [ -> ]Well, dude... I think you should stay in school; that would be the right thing to do. But to be honest; getting a GED and notas buenas is better then going through school regularly and getting notas malas. You could stand a chance with a GED, unless you straighten up in regular school; then you stand a better chance with the regular school.

That's what I was thinking. I'm actually getting good grades though, I'm just behind on actually doing the work.
I understand your situation, OP. I too take online school as opposed to traditional high school. The work is fairly easy, which makes it VERY easy to get distracted by other things. I recently have gotten into web design and an MMORPG, and it's easy to get entranced in CSS or Javascript tutorials, or levelling up on the game when I really need to do the work. Really, al lyou can really do is force yourself to do this work. Honestly, it's MUCH more likely that you'll be able to get the job you want with a diploma as opposed to a GED. A college is much more likely to accept an applicant that graduated HS; not a drop out. I don't mean to sound condescending, but it's just the way it works. I suggest envisioning your future self; do you want to be living from paycheck to paycheck, or do you want to be more financially secure? Do you want to be able to say, "OK, I want this job. I have the credentials for it, and I have a compelling resume. I am going to get this job." with confidence, or do you want to rely on luck. Granted, this isn't a very good example, since nowdays it is pretty much luck, getting a good job. But, with better credentials, you're more likely TO get that job. Just contemplate the alternative to not 'succeeding'.
Pages: 1 2