Support Forums

Full Version: How to change tranny fulid on FWD Auto.[Full tut]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well this is for broken_machine. But i'm sure it will help others.

How to change tranny fluid in a FWD(front wheel drive) car.

Well, i'm going to start with an intro on where things are located and whatnot.

Well, in a front wheel drive car, you have a thing called your transaxle. Now, this is a mix of your transmission and axle.

So, now for the actual changing process Smile

Step 1.Find a sturdy cross-member, and place your jack on it. You want to lift it high enough to fit under it and move, but not to high. If you need to, also lift the back. Once lifted, place jack-stands under the same cross-member. Remember, you want the car to be as level as possible before changing.

Step 2.Now, this is where i won't be of much help. But other members here will step in and help me. You need to look on your front axle, in about the center or maybe off to the right a little there will be an opening. In this opening there is two plugs. One is the drain, and one is the fill plug. Eather way, they both need to come out. So, once you have a drain catch under them, pull one. If oil comes out then it's the drain plug. If nothing comes out, set that bolt aside and start on the other one. Oil should come out under a fair amount of pressure. Avoid getting it in your eyes. They should both be a 15mm socket. Allow time to drain.

Step 3.Now, you can fill your fluid from here, via the fill plug. But if you don't have a siphon pump or room to pour it, just go to the next step. If you are going to the next step put both bolts back in the holes, hand tighten then wrench tighten. Don't over tighten, as the bold will sheer off. And nobody likes that...

Step 4.Once they are back in place, remove the jack stand and lower the vehicle. Once level, pop your hood. Now on your model, on the passenger side there should be a yellow or red dipstick. MAKE SURE IT'S NOT YOUR OIL. Now, you should already have fluid and the right measurements, from your owners manual or calling the local Napa. Pour the recommended amount in the tube with a funnel. It's ok to over fill a little. But not much.

Step 5. Close your hood after replacing the dipstick. Now, start your car and go through all the gears, starting at park to 1st. Then go backwards. Listen for any odd noises. Put your car in drive, and put the E-brake on. Get out of the car and check to see that no oil is pouring out of your car. (not very safe lol)

Now, you have successfully changed your transmission fluid

Now, i would wait for a reply from a couple members before doing this, to make sure all is good. Mainly the other two who hang out in this section. But i feel as if everything is correct.

Enjoy.
Ah; thank you very much... that will save me quit a bit of money rather than going into a shop and getting it done.. Will have my buddy who is a backyard mechanic help me out too to make sure all is well.
Thanks again.
No problem, again i believe this is all correct.
Hi my Bro this is a good tutorial, The only thing I can possibly add is normally your drain plug will generally be positioned lower than your top up plug. & if you are jacking up any vehicle you should use the original jacking points that are on the chasis of the vehicle. sometimes jacking up a vehicle by the cross-member can cause some slight bending of the cross-member depending entirely on the vehicle weight & jacking position. Now if your vehicle is say for instance a rear wheel drive a slight bend in your gearbox cross-member can have a negative effect on your uni-joints & cause uneven or premeture wear of these joints. But all in all this is yet another good contribution on your behalf well done my Bro

B@nNeD
Thanks guys. Sorry about any mistakes.
Hi my Bro, Never be sorry I know your heart is in the right place & I'm happy to see you got your + rep back. You are here to help people & I have only admiration for you, keep your chin up dude I'm always here for ya Bro Victoire

B@nNeD