Support Forums

Full Version: Girlfriend lonely
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, 

Ive been a student in Scotland for almost three years, and my girlfriend and I met when we first moved here, her from London and me from Ireland. We've been together basically from day one, so over two years. However this year she wasn't able to progress into the third year of her course, so she had to switch uni's, and go back to London. As far as being in a long distance relationship goes, were only 3 months or so in but were making it work. 

The problem is that my girlfriend has absolutely no friends in London; due to the particular set of academic circumstances she is only in class on friday evenings, and the majority of those who attend are much older than her. Even at that, there is no room for social events or anything like that because most students just want to show up and go home straight afterwards. Shes tried joining clubs but theres none that she likes, and shes really suffering from both being really lonely because she has no friends, and living back at home with her parents again who are a nightmare. Shes just got a job, which is in a second hand bookshop and mainly staffed by people much older than her. I dont know how to support her sometimes, im always optimistic, but me being so gets on her nerves quite a bit, and I think subconsciously shes jealous that I am still at uni with all of our friends and she isn't. (Which if I was her position I probably would be too). 

How do I console someone whos as lonely as this? Ive told her to integrate herself as best she can, by doing a class, joining some clubs outside the uni etc. But I think shes so sad about the fact that shes in this situation that she doesnt see the point in going out and making friends, because shes lost a lot of confidence in herself and feels like nobody likes her. 

Does anyone have any advice for her? Or for me on how to support her? I wanna do whatever it takes to make her happy.