Support Forums

Full Version: Relatively new job, toxic environment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I work in health care so I kind of expected more than this. However, I work both in patient care and behind the scenes.
The staff in the "front of house" are amazing people, they are courteous, friendly, helpful, knowledgeable. Albeit, this is also the side of this healthcare stream I actually went to school for.

However, the "back of house" is completely the opposite. In particular, there is one coworker who constantly blames me for everything. That is everything including anything she has actually gone and done. And when I ask her about anything the first thing she has to state is that it's my fault and what not even though I actually don't care who's fault something is and it's just a simple and straight forward question. I have also tried to implement a variety of changes because what they are doing is downright wrong, and my supervisor is very supportive and welcomes the changes I have tried to introduce. I think they are opposed to these changes because they had been trained over a decade ago and have continued on the same way, picking up bad habits but failing to keep up with current practical knowledge and safety measures. Every day though, I have to go to work with my head low and try to be as neutral as possible otherwise I risk getting blamed for things I haven't done, or worse still (since I'm training on site-specific differences of the job) they may refuse to help. Usually when I do try to insist on changing one thing, I get about a ten to fifteen minute lecture on how some minor technical issue (the stapler is in the wrong corner of the room so I ruined everything). The hardest part is that the back of house is only three people so every hour it feels like "alliances" are changed and it is always 2 to 1. This is most disturbing when considering personnel safety issues and there is an obvious 2 to 1 against me because I was trained to act proactively, rather than reactively, so myself and others of my designation usually try to do a little more work to prevent issues from arising and causing more work later. These guys have only had on-site training by a previous boss who cut corners and did not really pound in some major safety concepts and did not teach them efficient work flow. The one who keeps blaming everyone also has the worst concept of safety and though they are supposed to be our team leader, when any issues arise she freaks out and can't get past the problem itself rather than finding some solution.
I have been screamed at, blamed, and talked about behind my back. My boss has encouraged me to keep going as this was partly why she had hired me for a mixed role position. I am trying very hard but am having such a difficult time figuring out how to best deal with this coworker. Any tips or resources on how to 1. deal with such a difficult person daily and 2. how to ease into making very necessary changes with someone unwilling.
Your not going to get any responses besides me. No one is on this forum anymore.
Firstly sorry to hear about your experience.

Secondly, on to the issues, your first problem is that they believe there always right, and you get people like that. What you have to do is be accepting of them, and just learn to deal with them (you wish you could change them but you just will never be able too), anyway, firstly i'll address the "Changes", try small things, and show them why it's a good idea, chances are if it makes it easier, they'll roll with the changes, as they seem like the kind of people that want to do as little as possible, another alternative is too talk to your boss and get him/her to implement the changes, and they'll be made to listen. As for getting along with them, try meeting up with them out of work, maybe they'll grow on you, if that doesn't work, try doing something like buying them coffee, make a peace offering... The key thing is they probably know your more proactive than them, and you work harder, and it threatens them, make sure they know your only trying your best and am not there to show anyone up.
(07-22-2014, 03:25 PM)Autopost Wrote: [ -> ]Firstly sorry to hear about your experience.

Secondly, on to the issues, your first problem is that they believe there always right, and you get people like that. What you have to do is be accepting of them, and just learn to deal with them (you wish you could change them but you just will never be able too), anyway, firstly i'll address the "Changes", try small things, and show them why it's a good idea, chances are if it makes it easier, they'll roll with the changes, as they seem like the kind of people that want to do as little as possible, another alternative is too talk to your boss and get him/her to implement the changes, and they'll be made to listen. As for getting along with them, try meeting up with them out of work, maybe they'll grow on you, if that doesn't work, try doing something like buying them coffee, make a peace offering... The key thing is they probably know your more proactive than them, and you work harder, and it threatens them, make sure they know your only trying your best and am not there to show anyone up.

Boy was I wrong. Maybe I should shut the hell up.
I would like to quote this as it might make things clearer to you:

In order to survive, we cling to all that we know and understand.
And we label it reality.
However, knowledge and understanding are ambiguous.
Thus reality could be an illusion.
All humans live by the wrong assumptions.
Thanks for the tips. Really, it's making things a bit easier to cope.

I just got yelled at earlier this week by the resistant one and the other one tried to blame me for something because my two co-workers were fighting and I got caught in the backfire.

Sigh... How tragic this is that I'm in Healthcare and I am working with people pretty much twice my age. At least I have a boss who see's eye to eye with me.