Support Forums

Full Version: My father threatened to cut me off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, this is Sam here, please read my introduction on the welcome mat before making your way to this post. Thank you!

My father is an Ultra-Orthodox Jew. He loves the Jewish nation and is a firm believer in the old Judaic interpretation of the bible.

I am not religious, nor do I believe that the scripture is divine. I find his views extreme and mindlessly arrogant {e.g. he believes that Jewish people are born with a godly soul and an animal soul, while anyone non-Jewish is born solely (hehe) with an animal soul}. I respect my father a lot. He has taught me so much in life. Patience, love, devotion, motivation, passion, honesty, morality, kindness, and some optimism. That is the father I knew before I rejected his faith. After that our discussions led me to realize a new part of him I hadn't seen before. I started conversations that challenged his belief (such that perhaps all humans are equal, something I thought I had learned from him), and they only led to his disappointment, quiet anger, and rejection of me.

Now I have a girlfriend who I am in love with. We've been dating for four months, and I've met her parents. My father refuses to meet her even though my mother(who is surprisingly supportive), and a few of my siblings have met her(the religiously wishy-washy ones I wrote about in my introduction on the Welcome Mat).
He told me if I marry a non-Jewish woman (I'm 19 and not getting married any time soon... but it still hurts), he will cut me off from the family. Or in his words "we will have to split ways."
I've tried to reason with him and convince him to be open-minded, but he said this is the one line he will never cross. We have this argument frequently. We never raise our voices, and we are always civil. Today it got a bit hairy, and he showed me a video clip that finally made me understand his perspective. If he truly feels the way that the protagonist does in the clip (which I shall direct you to), I have no hope...

Please help. How can I get my father to accept me? He does not seem to listen to reason, yet I know he loves me. A lot.

If you need any other details please request them. I have nothing to hide and will post any details (except personally identifying ones) publicly.

The clip he showed me was from "A fiddler on the roof." I read the forum rules, and didn't see anything about posting links. Here is a link to the audio track from the scene he showed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm6KapIDLvg

(Background information of the movie:
Jewish religious father has three daughters.
Two get married non-traditionally to Jews. Although a stickler for tradition, he manages to accept this. The last daughter wants to get married to a Russian gentile peasant. The father cannot bring himself to accept this intermarriage, takes is as a challenge to his personal faith and makes a hard decision by choosing what he feels to be the moral high ground. He rejects his daughter, cutting her off from the family and pronouncing her dead, despite her pleas for acceptance. -- irrelevant note, this is amazing acting.)
You are old enough to make your own mind up about that. Please feel free to reply.
(05-21-2014, 07:05 AM)Callum Wrote: [ -> ]You are old enough to make your own mind up about that. Please feel free to reply.

Thank you for the response Smile

Do I have to choose between him and my rights? I'm not sure how that would affect my family. I would be the first one to do that, and I'm pretty sure my family would take sides (maybe 50-50) for and against me. I feel like I'm being forced to choose between the stability of my family (which is already extremely compromised due to my parents' divorce), and freedom from their oppressive way of life.

I understand that he's not ready to change, and may never be ready. But is there any way I can at least preserve my relationship with the rest of my family? I believe that I have rights, but I don't want to be the cause of such commotion.

Should I talk it through with each member of my family individually, or should I just live how I want and wait for them to challenge me?
I don't mind doing either, but I want it to be clear that I am my own person, I have my own opinions, and I refuse to conform to their way of life...

Thanks for any responses!

Sam
Sadly, you may have to choose to do that, yes.
Perhaps you should remind your father about King David and how his great grandmother, Ruth, was not born Jewish. If God did not reject her, a forerunner to David, why should he (your father) reject you for being with someone who isn't Jewish? Say this to your father. Now I don't know how your girlfriend is as a whole (behavior, attitude, etc.), but in a general sense he should have no objections to your girlfriend just because she isn't Jewish. Hope this helps.
I am dealing parental issues myself, although I cannot offer you religious help as I do not hold a religion. I will say this... It is YOUR life. Do, choose, be with and love what makes YOU happy. If you live your life the way someone else wants you to live it, that isn't much of a life. Be happy and do what you want. Smile Best of luck