Support Forums

Full Version: Help please..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys.

My girlfriend of almost 2 years cheated on me the other day and as a result we've broken up.

I don't know how to deal with this.. it is the first relationship I ever had and I'm so angry she did this to me when I was always there for her. When I'm not angry or upset I'm just completely apathetic towards everything, which is pretty bad considering I'm in my last year of school and trying to get into University.

Any advice on how to get through this would be really appreciated... I haven't really got anyone to turn to now my girlfriend is no longer a part of my life Sad
I know exactly how you feel, I had a girlfriend for 4 years, and turns out she was cheating on me for 3 of those, I was always there for her, and it broke my heart, and I still sometimes think of her after a year, it's hard to get rid of what happened in the past out of your head, but that's exactly what it is, the past.

What I did to get her out of my head was be more social, hang out with more people your friends family, you may feel crappy and not want to do anything, but trust me not only will you forget about it for a few hours, but you'll have fun, now I don't know why she cheated on you dude, but either way, girls come and go, same thing with guys, everyone messes up.

2 years with all that time together can be a hard thing to try and just throw out your head, trust me, even more if you have some amazing fun memories, but if you just keep your head up, get on with your school work and stuff, it should pass quickly, how about listening to some intense, or even action movies, to keep your mind off of sad music, or depressing scenes.

Ever find that sad songs, and movies and stuff reminds you of bad memories? That's because your brain tells itself "Oh look something sad is happening, lets think of what this reminds you off" Or "What memory would this music fit right now", Basically sad things are something to avoid, may seem hard but it worked for me.

Maybe try and find new girls or even hang out with some guys and do what you want to do, seemed pretty good idea for me.
The advice already given by Phisher is pretty good and I'd like to second it.

The only thing I'll add is that it's all about time. Time is probably your worst enemy right now because when something like this happens every minute seems like an hour. I remember after my big break up, I'd look at the clock thinking the day was half over and it would be a little after noon. It was horrible. I felt like that for days. Then after about a week or so things turned around.

As Phisher said, go out with friends and do things that keep your mind off of the relationship. Find ways to kill time. Mind numbing games like Angry Birds or Cut the Rope are excellent for times like this. As time goes on, you will begin to feel better. Just get there any way you can.