Support Forums

Full Version: Need help with manual Program Files and ProgramData restore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
First off, the apologies/disclaimer bit ;) - Sorry if this question has been asked already, but I'm at my wit's end, and this should be a relatively easy fix, but for the life of me, I don't know what to do. I'd greatly appreciate any and all help.
Here's the situation: I would like to restore my Program Files and ProgramData from several different windows.old folders, if possible. Obviously, I have gone through several upgrade installs of Windows7, and unfortunately, have run out of space on my hard drive (640 GB). I do have some space on an external USB hard drive, as well as an internal 1 TB drive I can use, if need be.
Hopefully, someone can help me with this, or direct me to more information. Please feel free to ask for clarification of anything I haven't mentioned. Thanks in advance.
(08-15-2013, 12:55 PM)Me_Myself_n_I Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,
First off, the apologies/disclaimer bit ;) - Sorry if this question has been asked already, but I'm at my wit's end, and this should be a relatively easy fix, but for the life of me, I don't know what to do. I'd greatly appreciate any and all help.
Here's the situation: I would like to restore my Program Files and ProgramData from several different windows.old folders, if possible. Obviously, I have gone through several upgrade installs of Windows7, and unfortunately, have run out of space on my hard drive (640 GB). I do have some space on an external USB hard drive, as well as an internal 1 TB drive I can use, if need be.
Hopefully, someone can help me with this, or direct me to more information. Please feel free to ask for clarification of anything I haven't mentioned. Thanks in advance.

Typically, you can't just copy over a program files folder and expect it to work. Programs need to be installed for a reason unless it does not need a install.

First you should of saved this file that you seem to be missing or not have backed up.

Your AppData Folder: This folder, located at C:\Users\yourusername\AppData

is where the majority of your programs store their settings (usually under the Roaming subfolder). Usually you'll see a folder with the name of the program or its developer, with a number of files inside. You'll want to back up the program's entire folder.

let me know if that helps Smile