Support Forums

Full Version: How to remove oil from your radiator! [Full tut]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is mainly for people with blown head gaskets, that causes oil to leak into your coolant

1.Place a drain pan under the drain valve at the bottom of the radiator. Make sure the engine is cool before you start this, it could end pretty bad lol. Open the cap on the coolant overflow container and allow all the coolant mixed with oil to drain into the drain pan.

2.Find the clamps on the top and bottom radiator hoses.There are two lines, about one or two inches at the top and bottom of the radiator. The top one is the outlet to the engine and the bottom is the return from the engine. Loosen both clamps with a screwdriver.

3.Just let it drain the fluid from the radiator. You may need to remove a plastic cover that runs across the front of the engine compartment to get to the cap. It's usually common sense, but if you need to look in your owners manual for instruction

4.Start the pressure washer and put the tip into the radiator pressure cap. Pull the trigger and allow the pressurized water to flush out the oil. Continue until the water runs clean out of the drain valve.

5.Close the drain valve by turning it clockwise by hand until tight and refill the radiator with coolant to the full line on the overflow container. See the service manual for its location.

5.Tighten the clamps with the screwdriver.

7.Let the engine run with the heater on so the heater core will fill with coolant. The fluid level will drop in the overflow container. Add coolant as needed until the level no longer drops and the fluid level is steady on the full line.

I hope this helped, remember i'm always up for posting a more advanced tutorial if needed. Just ask.
Hi my Bro, The fact that you know that oil in your radiator is commonly caused by a blown head gasket just tells me you have a good understanding of engines good stuff my bro, Hell at your age I was more concerned about smoking crap loads of weed & trying to have sex with my neighbours daughter, It wasn't until later in life that my eyes had opened. I know I have allready said this but for 17 you are off to a good start with your automotive knowledge dude. keep focused & I think you will be capable of some incredible things in the future. I'm always here for ya my Bro

B@nNeD
(11-12-2009, 07:58 AM)B@nNeD Wrote: [ -> ]Hi my Bro, The fact that you know that oil in your radiator is commonly caused by a blown head gasket just tells me you have a good understanding of engines good stuff my bro, Hell at your age I was more concerned about smoking crap loads of weed & trying to have sex with my neighbours daughter, It wasn't until later in life that my eyes had opened. I know I have allready said this but for 17 you are off to a good start with your automotive knowledge dude. keep focused & I think you will be capable of some incredible things in the future. I'm always here for ya my Bro

B@nNeD

Thanks man, i try to stay away from drugs, because i feel like it may get in the way of baseball. And as for the girl, i have an amazing girlfriend, we have been dating for quite a while now. I just for some reason love cars.
Stay as you are my freind I feel you are going to do well in life shine on my Bro shine on

B@nNeD
I sure hope so, i love doing things like this. I hope it doesn't change.
Flushing your radiator is like giving your car a bath. The radiator is one of the most hottest parts of a car when an engine is running. Summer driving requires a clean radiator that can help your vehicle's engine defeat the heat. Keeping it fresh keeps that engine running. Learn how to flush your radiator and you will stay on life's highway this summer. Here is the proof: How to flush your radiator.
(07-27-2011, 10:34 PM)michaelJ Wrote: [ -> ]Flushing your radiator is like giving your car a bath. The radiator is one of the most hottest parts of a car when an engine is running. Summer driving requires a clean radiator that can help your vehicle's engine defeat the heat. Keeping it fresh keeps that engine running.
Totally agree with you. Radiator is a main part in functioning of a vehicle, i always prefers to clean it and also fill up with fresh water. I haven't faced any problem yet.
There's stuff made just for this eventuality. It's called a radiator or the cooling system flush. Basically, it's cleaner without the foaming agent. You could rinse with washing-up liquid, but you have wash for weeks to get rid of bubbles.
(11-21-2011, 12:06 AM)martinnman Wrote: [ -> ]There's stuff made just for this eventuality. It's called a radiator or the cooling system flush. Basically, it's cleaner without the foaming agent. You could rinse with washing-up liquid, but you have wash for weeks to get rid of bubbles.

Wastewater Pump

I don't think it would be very practical buying a radiator cleaner really. A good flush is all it needs and chances are, will ever need.
Nice to see my threads are still helping.