Support Forums

Full Version: How can I get my sister to understand the concept of time and responsibility?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My sister's inability to time manage and plan ahead for anything affects us all but because she takes my child 1-2 times a week on the weekends (because of my circumstances) it affects me more and I get angry, stressed, and frustrated because of it. She knows I have been stressed by things and I have some issues with my health lately, yet it doesn't make a difference with her. She doesn't seem to be good overall with responsibility, especially not taking responsibility for anything she does. But the thing is she's 37, turning 38 this year. She has a master's degree. Her lack of time management affects her job. A part time job, that doesn't pay her bills, because those hours work best for her (she can go in whenever pretty much). She also has a volunteer position which she thinks will help her get a better position in the long run however it took her forever to get around to doing her responsibilities for it and now that she has started to do something with it it appears to be affecting her paying job and getting there on time because the volunteer position requires weekday work (getting to work on time is a problem for her anyway). She is constantly relying on our father for help but he doesn't have much to spare and he's not getting any younger. She needs to step up and change things. Whenever you try to confront her about anything she gets smug, defensive, twists things around. She can do no wrong in her mind. She's impossible to talk to. Her common sense is off too, which I guess goes hand in hand with all that other stuff. Sometimes when she is with my child she doesn't think to do basic things, like feeding. When my child was wearing diapers (which was just until recently) She wouldn't change the diaper, it would be full when they came home. That was also delaying our ability to do potty training. These are just some examples, there is so many other things like this but it is too much to go into. I just don't know how to get my sister to change but she needs to. I don't want to rely on her for anything but I don't have a choice right now. This is venting mostly but maybe someone has advice on how to help her change her ways? Maybe someone was in a similar experience?

BTW, My sister has no kids, no significant other (which I don't think she wants because she gives everybody attitude and doesn't give anyone a chance). Doesn't do anything but go online to Facebook mostly. I will add that she wants to see my child, as she has said. She has her masters in early childhood development, however you wouldn't know it. So she likes kids. Being with mine is not a burden, just wanted to clarify.