Support Forums

Full Version: I'm thinking about learning Java...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Recently I've become more and more interested in Java programming. I have some experience in C++ and Visual Basic, but never really got around to learning Java. Is it worth learning? What kind of programs can I actually make?

Feel free to voice your opinions below.
Theres endless possiblities with learning Java, you can create programs just like C++ and such. You just need to know what to use. It would be quite difficult to explain everything you can do with Java, but its not overly difficult to learn, maybe when your first learning the ropes. What I have posted in this section is just a smudge of what you can do with Java, and with advanced librarys such as BCEL or Reflection, you can do even more.

If you need help or want a better explanation, feel free to add my MSN;
guitar.hero.fo.life@hotmail.com

Good luck! Smile
With java you can make games, from runescap etc. It is also a very complex language (meaning you can do a lot in it.) If you know c++ java is just basically the same.
I think JAVA is way too hard for me.
Great, thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably learn it, maybe get a few books from the library.
Java applications are slower then normal applications though, based on the fact it has to "emulate" a Java runtime environment.
Dont be so sure.
(11-16-2009, 07:32 PM)[H]atsune[M]iku Wrote: [ -> ]Java applications are slower then normal applications though, based on the fact it has to "emulate" a Java runtime environment.

Not enough for it to make a difference. I mean, no one could ever make a 3d game in java, but don't let that deter you. ;)
Don't concern yourselves with the speed difference, it's not really important in your case.
I've made a few Java tutorials you could check out if you want a quick start.

(11-17-2009, 07:50 PM)FarOut Wrote: [ -> ]Not enough for it to make a difference. I mean, no one could ever make a 3d game in java, but don't let that deter you. ;)

Haha, I was about to yell "WHAT ABOUT RUNESCAPE!!" at you. Tongue
you can make cell phone apps, thats the one thing that makes java sound like alot of fun to me ^^
Pages: 1 2