Support Forums

Full Version: Noisy hydraulic lifter quick fix (tutorial)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi members, first of all just a quick shout out to ktm 530 & DAMN Ink. These guys were here from day one of this forums start just like to say hi guys...

Anyway this is a little trick you can use if your vehcile has hydraulic lifters installed... If you notice that your lifters/engine has a tapping noise comming from the top end of your engine chances are you may possibly have some blocked lifters..

Quick explanation hydraulic lifters are a cylinder that has a small pistion inside them and they fill up with engine oil to take away any slack from your engine push rods that connect to tha rockers. Old rockers once had grub screws that had to be manually adjusted to remove any slack/tapping noise.....

Ok now tha small hole that allows oil to fill tha hydraulic lifter can sometimes get clogged up with carbon deposites and restricts tha lifter from optimum operation hence giving a tapping noise....

A quick fix to this is to drain all engine oil and replace engine oil with a 70/30 mix of automatic gearbox fluid/engine oil

eg: 70 auto gearbox fluid
eg: 30 engine oil

Once you have filled your engine with 70/30 mix take your vehicle for a 30/45 minute drive & vary engine rpm in this time

What this does is because your oil is now running at a very thin ratio this helps to free up lifters & remove carbon deposits from your engine giving you a quieter engine & better performance + fuel economy

Now give your engine an oil change using its specific oil & that's it you have saved yourself some money by not having to purchase new lifters

Hope this helps

B@nNeD

Oh sh1t also a quick hi to omni if I ever manage to save enough money for a trip to vegas can I get ya to give me tha grand tour of tha place see ya guys
Nice tutorial, unfortunately I don't drive a car. Tongue
Thanks

Are you a bike rider?

B@nNeD
I'm 18 year old and yes, I ride bikes.

Got CBR 250.
Cool I personally like bikes too road/motocross... The only downside to road bikes is you can be a really talented bike rider but all it takes is one idiot in a car to not see you & then pullout in front of you all the skill in the world isnt going to help you... I have lost an uncle & another uncle is now an amputee because of bikes.... The funny thing is if you are on tha road on a jap bike people will sit right on your tail but if you are on a hog/ harley they will give you some space because they think you are in an outlaw bike club.... Strange but true

B@nNeD