Support Forums

Full Version: I'm Scared
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My biggest fear right now is not the average. I'm not coming out of the closet and I'm not afraid of death, etc.

I'm scared to death to tell my dad I know longer believe in God, I'm scared to tell him I am an Atheist. My whole father side of the family will literally hate me if I tell them, I am not lying when I say this either. My dad is a strict Catholic along with everyone else. I told my dad, "What if I didn't believe in God" and he went completely ape crap on me...I said I was only kidding, but I am sincerely scared to tell him. My mom knows I don't believe in God but she said to NEVER tell my dad.

What the F*ck do I do?
Well there will come a time when you need to confront him about it. From the sounds of it, you're still living with your parents so if your father is strictly religious, it could cause some issues so I see your concern.

However, at the same time, the fact that your mom is OK with it is a good sign as she could calm him down if he does go drill sergeant on you. I would maybe approach it in a lighter manner and see how he reacts as if he's truly religious, it is no surprise that he is concerned as from my understanding that would technically imply that you could go to hell etc. which would of course upset him as that's part of his belief system. Put yourself in his shoes.

As for the lighter manner, maybe tell him you're starting to lose faith and see where that goes although one possibility is that it will lead him to dragging you to church and possibly having a meeting with the leaders who will try to convince you which is to be expected as that's their duty. So keep that in mind. All in all, remain respectful. As you should respect his beliefs and vice-versa.
Don't tell him yet. Wait until you move out and are completely independent then tell him. Make sure you do it in a calm environment. Tell him that you do not judge him for his beliefs, and you would like it if he extended the same courtesy to you.
I already was going to tell him when I moved out, it would make things easier.
Wait until your dad has calmed down a bit from religion. If he does get mad he will hopefully come around, he's your dad after all.
I would suggest to follow your mother's suggestion. She's known your father for a long time, and if she is okay with your decision, rest easy on knowing that. Wait until you are older to inform your dad. If you need more support, I'd suggest talking with your mom.
Religion is a funny thing.
When i was young i was forced into it. Only as i grew up did i see the light so to speak lol.
Honestly mate. Dont even bother telling your father. Let him work it out as the years go by.
His ignorance is his downside. No offense. My family is similar. Your religious beliefs are yours and yours alone.
Your father loves you. It's difficult sometimes, but if you love him in return then try to not let something so small break you two apart.. I'm not saying to not follow your own path. It's good to express yourself as an individual. If your relationship with your father is more important than religion, don't sweat it.
(06-17-2012, 07:23 PM)Rwkeith Wrote: [ -> ]Your father loves you. It's difficult sometimes, but if you love him in return then try to not let something so small break you two apart.. I'm not saying to not follow your own path. It's good to express yourself as an individual. If your relationship with your father is more important than religion, don't sweat it.
Just as he said, if he loves you, everything will come through. Really, with family, what truely matters in this world are the people that know you, been through a lot & are willing to sacrifice a lot for you.

My dads' side of the family hates my family because they are too stuck up with stuff to realize love is what really matters in this world. To think about it, like I said, love is all you need from who it truely matters from Smile