Support Forums

Full Version: Dad owes me money
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm 19 years old and will be 20 this coming August. A couple of years ago (perhaps two years), my dad and I started buying a specific electronic device in bulk for the sole purpose of reselling it online and making profit. When we first ordered our stock, I put it half and so did he. But I made him keep the revenue from all the sales and simply told him that when we'd be done doing this venture, he'd just give me my total cut. Little did I know that he was using it as pocket money because he is in debt and tight with money. It wasn't intentional and I know my dad means well. He probably had it on him and figured he would use it and simply give me it back when he had more cash on him. But the problem is that now that our 'venture' is all over and done with, he owes me 725$ and doesn't have it. I've been asking him to pay me in little amounts at the very least for the past 2 years and he really doesn't have the money (all he gets, he needs to survive the week), so I let it slide. But now I called him back this week and he delayed it again as usual and mentioned that he might be closing a sale (real estate) in July and that he'd call me up to give me what he owes me if all goes well with his sale.

What should I do if he doesn't pay me by the end of the summer, because quite frankly, I don't have it in me and won't get technical (police/law) on him. I should also mention that I can survive perfectly well without the money it's just the fact that if I'm not persistent I will never get it back.

Thoughts, opinions, advice?
Just hound him over it. Maybe try to work out something of value in exchange like labor or a trade of some sort. Sounds like he's not in a great position to pay you back.
(06-02-2012, 03:47 PM)Omniscient Wrote: [ -> ]Just hound him over it. Maybe try to work out something of value in exchange like labor or a trade of some sort. Sounds like he's not in a great position to pay you back.

Well I've been 'hounding' him for it for the last 2 years and he insists he doesn't have it. But it's just getting to the point where I'm ashamed to keep asking for it after such a long time.. yet it's still a hefty amount of money. I don't know what to do at this point.
He is your dad and probably spent way more on you as a kid. But I know what you mean, it's like your parents borrowing money from you for grocery but don't pay it back. Just every time you ask him to do something and he doesn't want to then remind him that he owes you.

Hope you work it out.
Its your Dad mate.
You said he is in debt, so i cant see the issue here.
Sure you lost out a few bux but its your family. And as long as it was not intentional theft and rather just bad management i would let it slide mate.
Im sure your Father feels bad, and what better way to make him feel better than to say "dont worry about the money Dad"
Thats what i would do anyway.
Family is the foundation for everything. Money is nothing ultimately.
(06-03-2012, 03:38 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Its your Dad mate.
Sure you lost out a few bux but its your family. And as long as it was not intentional theft and rather just bad management i would let it slide mate.
Im sure your Father feels bad, and what better way to make him feel better than to say "dont worry about the money Dad"

You make a very convincing point. I guess I will do my best not to bring it up anymore unless he gets back on track and can repay me without hassle.

Allow me to also point out that I rarely post here on SF but in the two times that I have done so about fairly sensitive matters, you were there both times to provide the most helpful advice. N.B.: This is Solidify.. I wrote the Suicide thread a while back but intentionally closed my account since I wanted to stop being online so much..
(06-03-2012, 03:38 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Its your Dad mate.

DAMINK is a great guy Thumbsup
I believe he is right.
I would never sue family though.
i would NEVER ask money back from a FAMILY member.
I think you should just let it slide.

Think of all the money he has spent on your in your lifetime.
Honestly if he needs the money, just let him have it.
If he needs the funds let him keep it, think about what he done for you. If he was tight about the cash I would do other actions. Don't try and talk to him, and none of that bullshit. If you see that he can't survive, no food for example let it go , as you stated that you have enough money for now.
Pages: 1 2