Support Forums

Full Version: MYBB FORUM PERSISTENT ISSUE WITH LOGGING IN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am the website administrator for The Alabama Sustainable Agriculture Network. I built their website, which included MYBB forum. However, ever
since I got the forum up and running, I have encountered persistent problems with logging in.

Despite the fact that I am the one who installed this forum, and I am the only admin, the forum NEVER recognizes me. It's as if I never submitted or set up log-in credentials. Everytime I attempt to log in I get a message that I have exceeded the number of log-in attempts and need to wait 15 minutes... Which is time-consuming and aggravating for someone who works online.

I have to go through the whole process of resetting my password, and even then, I cannot log-in to the forum. And I really need to access it, because I have people spamming the forum, and I need to get in there so I can delete these spam messages. The organization who I built the site for, feel I'm incompetent because I don't know what to do to control the spamming... but I JUST CAN'T LOG IN.

I was trying to use the "Official" MYBB Support Forums to get help, and I did read the information posted there, and followed those instructions to the letter, but their suggestion did not help me.

I am NOT a coder but have a lot of experience with working with php scripts, so I am very baffled by this problem. I hope there is somebody within these forums who can assist me once and for all.
What are your cookie settings?
Im really sorry to hear this mate. I can understand your frustration.
I had a lot of trouble logging into Support Forums about 6 months ago. The exact same thing was happening to me.
At the time we suspected it was a time conflict but later worked out it was firefox.
After 1 attempt it would assume i had tried the max times. Even with just a password reset it would throw the "to many attempts" at me.
Even manually changed the password and still no luck.
When i did try another browser i was able to login and then after dumping all of Firefoxes cookies etc iy was fine.
This is probably not your problem but its worth letting you know atleast.
Have you tried a different browser?
(05-31-2012, 04:29 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Im really sorry to hear this mate. I can understand your frustration.
I had a lot of trouble logging into Support Forums about 6 months ago. The exact same thing was happening to me.
At the time we suspected it was a time conflict but later worked out it was firefox.
After 1 attempt it would assume i had tried the max times. Even with just a password reset it would throw the "to many attempts" at me.
Even manually changed the password and still no luck.
When i did try another browser i was able to login and then after dumping all of Firefoxes cookies etc iy was fine.
This is probably not your problem but its worth letting you know atleast.
Have you tried a different browser?

No, I have not tried any other browser, because I just couldn't imagine it being browser related.
I am a total mozilla firefox freak... Never thought about trying any other browser.
But the experience you describe is totally like what I'm experiencing now.

(05-31-2012, 04:26 PM)Omniscient Wrote: [ -> ]What are your cookie settings?

I will have to check them... I will do that and reply.

(05-31-2012, 04:26 PM)Omniscient Wrote: [ -> ]What are your cookie settings?

$settings['cookiedomain'] = "forum.asanonline.org";
$settings['cookiepath'] = "/forum/";
$settings['cookieprefix'] = "";
Your using a sub domain in the cookie settings yet its not a sub domain or i dont think so.
Its pointing to /forum not forum.
Perhaps change your cookie domain to just asanonline.org?
(05-31-2012, 05:47 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Your using a sub domain in the cookie settings yet its not a sub domain or i dont think so.
Its pointing to /forum not forum.
Perhaps change your cookie domain to just asanonline.org?

Yes... I do have a sub-domain set up (i.e. forum.asanonline.org) that points to the forum (http://www.asanonline.org/forum)
Did you try editing the cookie domain to see if that helped?
Did you try another browser to see if that was the problem?

Reason i say browser again is the site has had a theme put on it. So you must have had access at one point yes?
Or has this been a problem from install?
(05-31-2012, 06:30 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Did you try editing the cookie domain to see if that helped?
Did you try another browser to see if that was the problem?

Reason i say browser again is the site has had a theme put on it. So you must have had access at one point yes?
Or has this been a problem from install?

Okay...
I'm going to try both

I'm still using MOZILLA FIREFOX, however, I did change the cookie url settings to asanonline.org. I was able to log-in BUT NOT WITH MY customary log-in credential. I had to do the password reset and all that... and even then, it made me do the image verification. So, I'm in for the time being... BUT I"m going to the ADMIN CP and update my log-in information AND I'LL BET YOU WHEN I ATTEMPT TO LOG IN AGAIN, I'LL HAVE THE SAME DOG-GONE PROBLEM!! If I do, rest assured, I will be back here for help.
$settings['cookiedomain'] = "forum.asanonline.org";

That's your problem.

Should be $settings['cookiedomain'] = ".asanonline.org";
Well im glad to hear your are nearly sorted out or closer anyway.
Go get those spammers mate and show your Customer you can control the forums from spammers.
Keep us informed of your progress. Also please read the above reply by Omni!
Pages: 1 2