Support Forums

Full Version: Had my cat put down last night
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sad day i gotta say.
Had my cat for 9 years and last night had to have him put down.
I also own a dog and well the dog and cat have not got along for the last year or so.
I think they never resettled after we moved and the hirachy was broken. Anyway there had been 2 occasions now where my dog has attacked the cat. Seemingly for no reason. But more than proberbly over food or the hope of food. Both attacks happened in the kitchen at home.
Well last night he attacked for a third time. Same place in the kitchen.
He hurt the cat good this time. Broken jaw and teeth missing.
Went to the vets obviously and it was decided the best thing to do would be to put him down so we did.
What to do with the dog now?
I have 4 kids so my fear is actually that he may attack them in the future although he has never shown this trate (YET!)
His breed is American Pitbull X American Bulldog and is about 6 years old.
Quite a strong dog infact and i would struggle to get him off anything let alone my kids should he attack.
Whats your thoughts SF?
Do i take the action i dont want to take? Have him put down??
Or do i muzzle him for the rest of his life?
Really not sure what to do here.
For the record my dog has been clasified a "Non Dangerous Dog" For those who are aware of the Australian dog laws.
Oh my god, I'm so sorry.
:C
I can't believe I'm reading this,.
I feel so...bad. Almost as if the cat were mine.
(05-04-2012, 05:26 PM)Grin Wrote: [ -> ]Oh my god, I'm so sorry.
:C
I can't believe I'm reading this,.
I feel so...bad. Almost as if the cat were mine.

Thanks mate yep gotta admit the wifey was crying all night and this morning.
Bit upset about it myself. My kids witnessed it so they are a little freaked out by the whole ordeal also.
Dang bro I know that that's hard to do. I had a dog for about 2 years and we had to put him down because he got bit by an snake. I was really sad to see him go. Sorry for your loss.
(05-06-2012, 06:15 PM)YMCMB™ Wrote: [ -> ]Dang bro I know that that's hard to do. I had a dog for about 2 years and we had to put him down because he got bit by an snake. I was really sad to see him go. Sorry for your loss.

Thankyou mate. I will get over it quickly. Its in my nature but my wife on the other hand.... It will take a long time. She really loved that cat.
I'm sad to hear that. I hope you feel better soon.
Good luck to your wife, hope she's ok now.
I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you will recover soon.
(06-08-2012, 04:47 AM)AnonymousPie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you will recover soon.

Clearly you don't read.

I think you're not sorry and that you just posted for the sake of posting.

If you read, you'd at least say hope his wife gets better through the ordeal.
Sad to hear that Sad

My advice would be to take the dog to a professional dog trainer. Not that your dog is not trained, but there may be some behaviors involving food, possibly, that would make the dog aggressive. See if you can fix the problem before it happens.
Pages: 1 2