Support Forums

Full Version: Bad times but with some silver lining - What would you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a few problems, I'm a type 1 diabetic with depression and insomnia issues. I won't go too in depth, but here's what's going on in my life.

Two years ago I lived in America, loved it and was having a great time, controlling my diabetes easily at the same time. This was the year that I graduated from high school - but hanging over my head was the fact that my family was moving to England the day after my graduation. And that I would have to go to a British University. (I have dual citizenship and lived in the US for 12 years - since I was 6).

I had to break up with my long long term girlfriend and leave the closest friends I've ever had (Still my closest friends, talk to them daily). Anyway long story short, I hate it over here, I'm depressed, now have insomnia and for the most part my diabetes has run amok for the last 6+ months. It hasn't been a good time. I dragged through the first year, and then went to america for the entire 3 month summer, which pulled me out of depression for those months. And now I'm back here depressed out of my mind and more or less failing in University.

Silver lining? I just got accepted into a much better University closer to my family but will have to start from year one. (I'm in year one now, I did a foundation course my first year in england). BUT I also have a shot at moving back to america. So long as my application goes through and I can somehow get instate tuition. This is because I finally told my family how I feel, and they agreed to letting me go if I could. However they would rather I stay for another year before transferring.

Anyway... Now I ask, would you stay for a year in a country you hate (No offense to any british guys, I just don't like it over here :|), or would you do everything in your power to move back to a place where you know you could be happy?

It's a tough choice for me, because of my family which I do care about.
See, failing in a university where your parents are has no sense because whats the use of it?
If you think you will do better in USA and be successful there then try and tell your parents about it that you want to transfer now...
Sit down and think over and do what you feel is right rather thinking that your parents are here or ur friends are there..
Choose the right thing where you think you will be successful and happy.

Wish you luck with your future Smile
Your asking yourself an obvious question but I understand the issues & you would like others stand points!

In life, I've always been told to do what makes me happy, if need be, talk to me. I feel you should do what you want to do. What you want to do is be with friends, be in the US! You are only human & happiness is next to your happiness. Actually take all the power you can & put it to moving over there.

I mean, the drawback is that it doesn't turn as happy as it is there. Like, friends moved & your alone. Now, with all that, you could still survive on yourself. Hell, I'm planning to move across the state with my GF. I've known her for a while & in order to do that, I got to get the basics down of life such as getting a vehicle, money saved & a planned school. With all that requires money which I plan on getting by two jobs as hard as it would be but I need to learn the responsibility.

Good luck & remember, FIGHT FOR HAPPINESS!!!