Support Forums

Full Version: What happens to the pets at a pet store if the pet store goes out of business?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It is advised that when wanting a pet, it is best to adopt at a shelter or adopt one from a reputable breeder. Pet store pets come from puppy mills and buying a pet from a pet store is supporting puppy mills.

But what happens to the pets if the pet store shuts down? Are they put in animal shelters? If they're going to end up in animal shelters anyway, isn't purchasing a pet "saving" it?
My guess is yes, they get sent to animal shelters. I'm really not 100% sure though. And if you purchase a pet from a store isn't really saving it because people will frequently visit that store and eventually buy it.
They are sent to animal shelters, or sold to another pet store. They would not kill all the dogs, my god.
I think they're sent/transferred to other animal shelters?
I believe they are either sent to animal shelter or they are taken to the owner's house.
They release every pet in the thread ;D
No seriously , I think they move all the pets to another shelter or they tell everyone in a local newspaper for interested peoples.
They take it to a shelter.
However, shelters don't keep them forever either.
One way or another. If they aren't gone soon, they are "put to sleep".
I think that they try to sell the pets for cheap or let people adopt them, since it'd be difficult to find something else to do with them.

I've never thought about this, maybe I should ask my uncle who works in a pet store :]
It all depends on the circumstances. Pet Stores that are chained, send the pets to the nearest location of theirs that's still open. If that's not an option, they send it to the local humane society. Of course, before they do any of this, they hold a blowout sale and try to get them out so that the animals don't have to be moved, nor do they need to deal with the costs.
I was thinking animal shelter, well at least I hope.
Pages: 1 2