Support Forums

Full Version: Cold Air Intake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, so I just got an Injen CAI for my G35 coupe.

I have been reading online that some people take it off during winter and put the stock ones back in....there seems to be mixed opinions in regards to this.

Anyone have a definite answer?

Also, how much do they change the sound of the exhaust? I really do not want mine to get any louder.
Niice car bro. However i would personally not take it off due to the car being such high specifications it will not struggle to start in cold conditions. I am personally a mechanic and would never do such thing due to the performance air filter will be ALOT better for the car and also the car will have a automatic coldstart for the conditions you are worried about. Also putting the stock air filter onto the car will cause the exaust to go more silent and less of a nice sound. Hope this helps. Ps give me your car Oui joke.

;)

How much should I expect to pay to have it installed?
(I didn't install it yet)
I'd say keep it in, there's no downsides for not taking it off, other than you may preserve the part a little more by not allowing it to go through the winter where cars usually corrode at a faster rate. It's not about the sound of the exhaust though, it's really about engine performance. That's why people add a cold air intake. Engines become sluggish when you have too much heat, and operate at the moderately colder temps better. This can also affect engine performance for speed.
(02-02-2012, 02:21 PM)AceInfinity Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say keep it in, there's no downsides for not taking it off, other than you may preserve the part a little more by not allowing it to go through the winter where cars usually corrode at a faster rate. It's not about the sound of the exhaust though, it's really about engine performance. That's why people add a cold air intake. Engines become sluggish when you have too much heat, and operate at the moderately colder temps better. This can also affect engine performance for speed.

Yes I know I just spent a lot of money on getting the exhaust tone to be perfect lol and dont want to mess it up Tongue
+performance gains wont even be noticeable, according to everyone who owns this intake lol

but i got it in a trade so its alll good

If it is a cold air intake, make sure you run venting to your grill, so it's actually sucking in cold air, and not just air from your engine compartment. As for sound, some will provide a whistle from the forced air. Some won't. No change to your exhaust. In the winter I would leave it on. It's a cold air intake. The colder the air, the better your car runs, better fuel economy, and better engine life. But like I said, make sure there is actually a tube ran after your filter, to a fresh, cold air source, otherwise it will just be a very expensive, ram air intake.