Support Forums

Full Version: 8 hours a week
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Im 19 and have been working at the same job for 4 years only once a week (8 hours a day on Saturdays) with 80$ a week as income. I’m still in college and have many friends and go out pretty often. I don’t know how I manage but I just do. I have a cell phone to pay each month but besides that, no other expenses. What is pissing me off is that my mom and sister always give me hell because when I’m not in school or working or out with friends I’ll be playing xbox or on my computer in my basement all day. My mom says “I’m wasting my life”. But what I don’t understand is how it bothers her. It’s my xmas vacation and I’m off from school. I know a lot of kids my age would rather work hours so they can make a lot of money but I really don’t want to work that much. I’m lazy and Im satisfied with living the way I am now. I don’t make a lot of money but it’s enough for me to get by. How can I get my mom to stop busting my balls?
I have the same thing, my mom would casually walk by my door and say, "Your wasting your life, come to your senses" or something like that. Honestly, its how teens live, you will probably come to conclusions in your 20's and get married, then life itself will pick up.
(01-04-2012, 08:51 AM)Quizzical Wrote: [ -> ]I have the same thing, my mom would casually walk by my door and say, "Your wasting your life, come to your senses" or something like that. Honestly, its how teens live, you will probably come to conclusions in your 20's and get married, then life itself will pick up.

Maybe but how do I get her to stop nagging me all the time for it and shes always snarling at me. she used to never be like that with me. It's as if she praises someone that has a job! the days I'm working, she calls me at lunch and asks if everything is ok and all. When I'm downstairs on my xbox or pc, she's always rude with me and tells me "what are you doing today" when she's being sarcastic because she knows what I will do (xbox all day)
That same line comes from my mom aswell "What are you doing today" I straight up tell you "Nothing I don't feel like it" usually she will OK that if I have been somewhat socially active the day before. For example I stayed home all yesterday but the day before I went Skiing. You can also give her the flatout line "I'm 19, I can do what I want with my time. Or just explain your point of view on the matter, and if she is understanding, she will understand your concern.
Your mother is acting that way because she only want the very best for you. In her eyes, what you are doing currently and what you could be doing are two very different things. In fact, she envisions you to be a hard-working member of society and hopes that you would excel in whatever field you work in as do all parents.
If it really bothers you, then what you could try to do is go to your mother and tell her politely that you know you're wasting your time, but that you really need a break from all the hard work you're putting. You're not really used to it but you're learning and that very soon you'll be working even harder to earn money and make a living.
You could try that, or just keep playing Xbox all day. ;)
If I'm honest, she's doing you a favor. You need people in life who push you towards things, my mum used to let me do as I please and I really wish she hadn't.
You'll thank her one day ;) Haa.
(01-04-2012, 09:00 AM)Quizzical Wrote: [ -> ]That same line comes from my mom aswell "What are you doing today" I straight up tell you "Nothing I don't feel like it" usually she will OK that if I have been somewhat socially active the day before. For example I stayed home all yesterday but the day before I went Skiing. You can also give her the flatout line "I'm 19, I can do what I want with my time. Or just explain your point of view on the matter, and if she is understanding, she will understand your concern.

If I tell her I'm 19 and can do whatever I want in my life she' going to be like "Oh really? Who's gonna make your lunch, who's gonna drive you to work, make you breakfast, supper, etc. And go off on me and start showing me how she needs to do it all for me". That wont work.
(01-04-2012, 09:04 AM)BlackChaos Wrote: [ -> ]Your mother is acting that way because she only want the very best for you. In her eyes, what you are doing currently and what you could be doing are two very different things. In fact, she envisions you to be a hard-working member of society and hopes that you would excel in whatever field you work in as do all parents.
If it really bothers you, then what you could try to do is go to your mother and tell her politely that you know you're wasting your time, but that you really need a break from all the hard work you're putting. You're not really used to it but you're learning and that very soon you'll be working even harder to earn money and make a living.
You could try that, or just keep playing Xbox all day. ;)

I really can't do that because I haven't but in any hard work to be tired from lol
(01-04-2012, 09:10 AM)Cammmmy Wrote: [ -> ]If I'm honest, she's doing you a favor. You need people in life who push you towards things, my mum used to let me do as I please and I really wish she hadn't.
You'll thank her one day ;) Haa.

This is true, one day you will thank her, but possibly her way of communicating her love for you may be a bit harsh. But in the end, overall you will be thanking her.
(01-04-2012, 09:20 AM)Quizzical Wrote: [ -> ]This is true, one day you will thank her, but possibly her way of communicating her love for you may be a bit harsh. But in the end, overall you will be thanking her.

well I know she means well and i know that i am in the wrong for not working like everyone else but i just dont want to right now and she doesn't wanna get off my case about it.
(01-04-2012, 09:21 AM)EagerToLearn Wrote: [ -> ]well I know she means well and i know that i am in the wrong for not working like everyone else but i just dont want to right now and she doesn't wanna get off my case about it.

Just wondering, where do you work? It couldn't be that bad could it? You also mentioned you have been working the same Job for 4 years, in your teens it may have faded over time. It might be a time for a change.
Pages: 1 2