Support Forums

Full Version: I need some help..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hey everyone,

Im an avid user of HF and whatnot.. but i would prefer to stay anonymous on this topic..

The past 3 or 4 years my older brother has been an avid drug user and abuser. It wasn't until last month that my parents found out, he admitted he had a problem and he is now in rehab. At first i thought i didnt care about it at all, he was going to have to work things out and it was all up to him..

But this morning, me and the rest of my family went to a Counsellor and he totally described me.. The people who act like they don't care actually are hurting more than everyone else. Upon having further conversations i totally broke down.. I have been in a state of depression for the past 2 or 3 months and i can't seem to get out of this rut. Life seems so dull and meaningless. I have constant fights with my parents at home and my sister is also turning the same direction as my brother was.

I'm really looking for suggestions or ideas from this community for ways i can cheer myself and my family up. I can't even focus on school, which im doing poorly in at the moment.

So if you have any suggestions or ideas ... please post... im 15 years old by the way.

Thanks.
That sucks you're feeling that way, but that's life and that stuff can happen.

Take some time off school and just relax with some mates and chill out for a while.

The counsellor isn't always right, I act like I don't care about heaps of stuff, and frankly I don't.

Good luck.
One piece of advice: Do your best NOT to shy away from other people. Friends and family can be the single most helpful ray of light when stuck in a depression. It is natural to want to be alone, and not be bothered with other people, however I would urge not to stay towards those tendencies.

Although, this won't solve all your problems, I personally found it extremely useful getting out of and extreme depressed state.
I recommend the drug called "Marijuanna". It really helps out with depression. It pulled me out of the slums once (figureativley speaking).
(12-02-2011, 08:22 PM)Viking Wrote: [ -> ]I recommend the drug called "Marijuanna". It really helps out with depression. It pulled me out of the slums once (figureativley speaking).

Telling someone to smoke something that is very illegal, probably isn't a good idea, whether it helps or not, especially considering the problem he faces.

Try to talk to your sister, and see if you can convince her of all the other things she could do with her time. I know it's a pain sometimes to deal with family but hang out with her. Try to keep her away from it. Doing that will hopefully help her see that there are greater things. Your brother is doing a good job imo, if he was the one to admit he has a problem then he's done great on his own. Most people can't even admit that. Of course you're hurting hun. Trying to bottle it up is one of the worst things humans can do, as it makes it worse. Families argue, it's just something they do. I've never heard of anyone that doesn't argue with their family. School should be your number one priority, and I know it seems tough now but all of this should motivate you to be better in school, so if push comes to shove you can take care of everyone. Try a family game night, try going to the movies, try cooking them dinner. Just do more things with them, get them out of the house, for some time away from it all if even for awhile. After awhile the counselling will help, it's not going to work in a day. Even though things seem grim now, you're fifteen. Life is going to be so full of surprises and so full of happiness. And even though situations seem so dark, smile. It may be hard to do but you never know how your smile is going to brighten up your day, or your parents. I'm really sorry you're going through this. I wish you good luck hun.
I think the best thing you can do is to focus on yourself. i know that mind sound a little fudged up with the current situation your on. If you focus on yourself and making yourself happy i t hink it will benefit your communication with other people in the long run. you need to find something to get your mind off of all this and get you out of this rut. whether its running, being more active or just listening to music. its very important your happy with yourself before you try to build a relationship of any kind with anyone else.

i would not recommend smoking pot, considering it is a depressant and dulls your senses even more. i used to smoke pot for about 4 years straight. it dulled my senses beyond belief and has made me very antisoccial resulting in some of my depression.

anyway, you need to look towards the future and keep your head up. deal with things day by day and dont let your current situation get you down. i have delt with my older brother who i looked up to being hooked on speed, he has been in and out of prison my whole life and i have barely spent ANY time with him. i understand it can effect your communication with family and friends. you dont control his decisions and can only live your own life though. you cant let it get you down this much.

i hope your going to be ok.