Support Forums

Full Version: Marines?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all, long time no see Tongue

I come here for well, support.

I'm thinking of joining the United States Marine Corps. seeing as the benefits of finishing my service would help me throughout my life. The reasons I am thinking of joining are because I am struggling living on my own, part-time job (2 days a week) and paid bi-weekly. Even getting groceries is difficult and I don't see my situation improving in the future, and my future itself seems bleak at the moment. I have no support from my family, nor my friends really. They all seem distant somehow since I asked them for help.

Is that a wrong reason to join?

I'd get paid monthly to learn stuff, I'd have awesome benefits while serving, and have awesome benefits after I join. School paid for, nice resume addition, etc.

Support?
Honestly don't know what to say, been thinking about it for awhile actually and trying to figure out exactly the right thing to say. I think this is a decision that you have to make on your own. If the good outweighs the bad then go for it. I don't want to tell you yes or no on this because I've been in this situation and couldn't make the decision myself. Just tell you what I was told, make a list of all the good things that this can offer you and all the 'bad' that could come out of it and make your decision that. I do have to say I talked to a marine and was told that some people enter it all for the wrong reasons and sometimes regret the decision at a later date. So this isn't something any of us can give you a yes or no answer on really. You have to figure out what's best for you and weigh all of your options. Maybe this is the best thing for you maybe it isn't. But it's not something that you have to rush. Take time to think about it, take time to explore other options. But I wish you the best of luck and would like to know how you're doing, and what decision you make. Smile

edit: grammar fails >_< lol

Infinity is right, you should ask yourself is it worth it.
For me, I would join, but not the one who is going to hold guns.
(11-30-2011, 08:59 PM)Guest Wrote: [ -> ]Infinity is right, you should ask yourself is it worth it.
For me, I would join, but not the one who is going to hold guns.

Oh crap, forgot the login. I post that.
The pros definitely outweigh the cons, it's just one really huge con lol... I just don't want to get seriously maimed for life.

I plan on scoring high on the ASVAB, and choosing a computer/intel job as the best choice possible, I'd get to learn about subjects I love and get paid to do it. I'd also stay out of most of harms way...
Yeah I definitely understand, that was my biggest problem as well. Well I still don't want to tell you yes or no because in the end it's still your decision. However! It sounds like you've got everything worked out and computer wise you'd probably be away from all of the danger. So I guess my next question would be what they told you that you'd be doing and if you'd actually get sent into a zone that could get you hurt. And depending on what they told you from there I'd say, hey go for it. And if it's just school you're wanting to be helped through they have a reserve program for people who'd like to attend school. They pay for your entire schooling as long as you're in and when you graduate, you owe them four years. And since you're going into computers there is a chance you may not be sent anywhere that you can get hurt.
I don't really know what else to say, infinity really covered all the bases.
I would really stress, not to rush into this decision or to do i desperately.

I have often considered going into the service myself. Best of luck man.
Keep us updated!
Do what you want man, if you REALLY feel it's a good reason to join, then do it.
It's up to you, you can't let some people over the internet tell you what to do.
(12-01-2011, 07:35 AM)Infinity Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I definitely understand, that was my biggest problem as well. Well I still don't want to tell you yes or no because in the end it's still your decision. However! It sounds like you've got everything worked out and computer wise you'd probably be away from all of the danger. So I guess my next question would be what they told you that you'd be doing and if you'd actually get sent into a zone that could get you hurt. And depending on what they told you from there I'd say, hey go for it. And if it's just school you're wanting to be helped through they have a reserve program for people who'd like to attend school. They pay for your entire schooling as long as you're in and when you graduate, you owe them four years. And since you're going into computers there is a chance you may not be sent anywhere that you can get hurt.

Jesus, I have no idea what to say to you lol, this is why I came here... spot on the nail.

(12-01-2011, 08:51 AM)Shutdown™ Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really know what else to say, infinity really covered all the bases.
I would really stress, not to rush into this decision or to do i desperately.

I have often considered going into the service myself. Best of luck man.
Keep us updated!

Seriously, for a new guy he's pretty damn awesome lol. I'm not rushing, I'm steeling myself first, I know it's a life changing decision and I have to think a lot about it. I'll keep you guys updated. Smile also I'll be on around here more. Big Grin

(12-01-2011, 11:07 PM)Professor Oak Wrote: [ -> ]Do what you want man, if you REALLY feel it's a good reason to join, then do it.
It's up to you, you can't let some people over the internet tell you what to do.

I came here for support, not so much as deciding for me, but thank you for your support Smile
The Navy has the best benefits, pay etc... But the marines are good too. The army is mostly drop outs who just want to kill someone and be able to say "I took 2 bullets in I-RAQ !!!!!!".
Pages: 1 2