Support Forums

Full Version: When does it get to far?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have several friends who are deeply emotionally damaged. Often contemplating suicide they look to someone to talk to. As someone who conquered suicidal desires, I always try to give as much help as I possibly can. My question for you all though is, when does it go to far?
For example, if a friend is telling me he/she is going to end their life, and despite whatever I say- they hang up the phone, walk away, sign off etc saying they are going to do it. What do I do? What if they have already threatened suicide before and never went through with it?
These are my options that I can think of.

A. Loose my friendship and call my friends parents.
B. Let them go and hope the don't go through with it.
C. Call the cops.

None of those options are good.
I have in the past sprinted to a friends house on my bike, and probably saved his life- however I recently moved and can't really do that. :/

What are your thoughts?
I think 2 options listed are actually good..
For example, you might lose your friendship for a temporary time but your friends life might be save
and he/she will soon come to realize that in the long run.
Also, You can't let them go. You have to make an attempt to help if you have the opportunity to in any possible way
that is possible at the moment. You have to keep all options open.
And yes, you call the police. It's one step ahead of them getting help if it's the only option available.
A problem can be solved, there is no coming back from death.
If I were in your position, I would get on the phone immediately, and call their parents.
They may hate you now for it, but you may have saved there life. That is the best thing a friend can do. In the long run, he/she will some day thank you.
You need to do 1 and 3. At the moment of telling their family they may hate you, but will soon realize what you did for them. Calling the police may also do this and will get them the same help but the process may be traumatizing.

P.s. Glad you conquered your suicidal thoughts Smile
1.) Call their parents, regardless of what they told you.
2.) Call the police, again regardless.
3.) Get them professional help!
2) call their parents or the suicide hotline.
Thanks of the input guys. I really appreciate it.
Notify their parents. Call the police. These are the best things that you can do because it may show them that people care and they wont go through with it.
Call the police, or warn there parents if they EVER tell you they're contemplating suicide.

Some of the times it may be a cry for attention, it sounds like it from how you're describing them.
Most people who are actually suicidal are crying out for help, not attention.
To be honest you have no choice but to do the right thing.

You never know who will do what so you should do the right thing and tell his or her parents.
Calling the cops doesn't need to happen and neither does leaving them alone. They are in need and the best you can do is to let there parents know. It will allow them to get better as well as being safe. You never know what someone might do.
Pages: 1 2