Support Forums

Full Version: Buying another truck [Advice]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, i found a 1990 chevy 1/2 ton pickup, and a 2 inch lift. A 350ci with a automatic 700R4 automatic tranny in it. It shifts a little hard, the tranny oil smells a little burnt and there is some gas in the oil. It runs like a champ and has like 70,000 miles on it. I think it's been wrecked, it has a new front clip and roof. But the owner insists he just wanted to replace them. He wants like $6,000 what do you think? It has new wheels and tires also. Witch kinda worries me. I don't like it when people put new tires on it before they try to sell something.

Lemme know.
My truck is un reliable as of the other day, and need something to drive while it is in the shop.
Are you buying it because of the power (turbo) problem you had?

Got any photos?
Yeah, with my problem on my diesel, i'm just gonna try my best to melt the heads. So i need a new one while it's in the shop. I don't have any pics, sorry. It's black, nice paint 17' american racing wheels Huge tires power everything, and it has an after market stereo. I don't really need the truck to last long, i would like it it. But it's not needed. After this if i get it i plan on taking the transmission for a 61' apache. Lemme know.
I think you can ask him to lower it a bit to $5500.. 6k is too much for replacing tires, dents, and paint.. and the tranny will cost only $100..
I'm actually not happy about him replacing the tires it really worries me actually. And it has heavy engime modifications it hails ass. But I'll try to go a little lower.
Don't buy it. If you want modifications you are best off doing it yourself.

Anyone that runs mods runs their truck/car to the ground and then tries to sell it before they think it will die.
They weren't running spray or anything. Just cool air intake. Studded heads and what not. Not the tires worry me because I think its been wrecked and if ygr chasis is bent then the tires will wear unevenly. Like I said it doesent need to last long. A couple weeks max till the powerstroke gets done. I want the transmission pretty bad. And who ever said you can find a 700r4 auto tranny for 100 bucks is very wrong. I know quite allot about engines and this one seems solid. No nocking. Well balanced. I checked almost everything I could think of. He let me drive it. It handels fine. 4wd is fine. All seems to work.
THat sound like a good deal to me.
Well if you're into trucks then go for it. You seem knowledgable and comfortable. If you just need something a couple weeks why not just rent something? It's a lot cheaper.
I had actually thought about that omni. But I really want the tranny in it. And hell I could use it for a crap truck when I don't wana beat around in the one ton. Or just when moneys tight. I'll buy it. I'll post pics later.