Support Forums

Full Version: Can a relationship truly survive being cheated on?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Sorry if the thread subject doesn't make total sense, I couldn't really find a good way to word it. :/ Anyways, five weeks into my current girlfriend and I dating (It's online, make fun of me, trust me I can guarantee I've heard worse and I couldn't care less), I found out she had been cheating on me, I'm not sure for how long, and I want to say it wasn't for the whole relationship, but I honestly can't say. Both her and the guy she was screwing around with said it only recently started happening. After I caught her, we had a huge fight, then we 'made up.' I took her back, I forgave her, and I know she hasn't been cheating on me since. (I don't really care to share the details on how I know, just isn't importantppo.) Anyways.. that was, well, about 5 weeks ago.. I know I shouldn't have forgiven her nor taken her back so easily, let alone at all, but the thing is, she is literally the only person that makes me smile like she does.. It's been such a short amount of time, but I love her..

Anyways, my question is from experience can a relationship survive and succeed after an incident like this occurs? I'm really only looking for peoples opinions that have been in relationships where they got cheated on, or where you cheated. Keep in mind, I'm not looking just for people still in relationships, not all relationships that have something like this happen end because of this..

I'm really torn because of this, and so far no one has supported me in having taken her back, I don't care for other peoples approval.. I just want to know if there is even a chance...
To answer your question, Yes it can survive and succeed.
However, you are still young and I bet with you that you will never marry this Girl. Forgiving is natural and everyone should do it, though things can be hard to forget.

This is really up to you, if you want to live with constant thoughts if she might be cheating on you, which may(will) lead to jealousy, which then leads to breaking up. So if you have forgotten this, and obviously you didn't, it will be hard for you two to really enjoy each other.

Some people see cheating as a "death" sin, while others have a "open-minded" view on it...
My opinion is simple, if you love, or at least date someone, you shouldn't cheat on them, either brake-up and do what ever you wish, or simply don't cheat....

You say it's online, I say she'll do it again....
Your relationship is simply too young, which means you both are obviously not sure if it's the right thing, she more than you as it looks like.

My advice, break-up with her, cause she seems either to be looking for the right guy, or, she's a b****, sorry....

Taking her back is fine, if you two were already over 3 years together, otherwise it's all justplaying around and testing thins out....
Yeah you can survive, i'm living proof. If it hurt you so much why don't you break up with her? I know you think you like her, but in the end it's not worth it if she doesn't put in the commitment, and doesn't care about hurting your feelings.

Because the happiness she has brought me, the things she has helped me get past in my life outweigh what she did to me. She's helped me through things that have emotionally and physically ruined me for two, three, and four years of my life. I've gone to therapists, spoken with friends, professionals on the things, and they couldn't help at all, then she came along and helped me get passed them. By the way, for those assuming I'm just a kid, I'm not.
Well then stick with her. I don't see how anyone in this thread telling you that you should break up with her will make you do it. But you need to work on your relationship with her then. Something caused her to cheat, communicate with her about that.
(09-21-2011, 12:43 AM)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah you can survive, i'm living proof. If it hurt you so much why don't you break up with her? I know you think you like her, but in the end it's not worth it if she doesn't put in the commitment, and doesn't care about hurting your feelings.

I second with what Ace actually said..
If you truly love her then stick with her and try getting her towards you..
I don't think it will survive.. but I'm guessing you are still young, so people make mistakes.. But, I can assure you, you probably won't ever get over the fact that she did cheat on you.. and you will probably hold it against her for ever.. so just know that then maybe you will make it.
in my opinion no. it will never regain it's original trust level. it could recover, but never fully
I never stayed around to see if it would work out. My ex cheated on my after 2 years so it really tore me apart
(09-21-2011, 06:28 PM)Infested Terran Wrote: [ -> ]I never stayed around to see if it would work out. My ex cheated on my after 2 years so it really tore me apart

Sometimes it's good that it happens. It's a bad situation to be in, but it will make you stronger if you learn how to deal with it.