Support Forums

Full Version: I feel like I have severe ADD, but I don't know how to approach it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone,
You've probably seen me in the past giving relationship advice because that is one of the few things I'm good at...
I guess I should start be explaining what I mean by the topic title. I guess you can consider me a pretty smart guy. When I sit down and study/do my homework, I'm a straight A student, easily. I was up until about 7th grade and then I just kind of stopped caring.... I always found something better to do rather than that homework assignment or studying for that test. I've always been able to at least stay out of C range until high school started. I started doing less and less homework. I just feel like there's more fun things that always seem more important even though I know they really aren't.
I can't sit still if there are things in front of me. If I sit in my bed alone, without anything in front of me, that is the only time I can actually clear my mind. I can't sit in silence and attempt to do my homework otherwise my stomach feels like its lifting into my lungs and I just get stressed. I've been feeling stressed out all day for no real reason. I feel like I have this severe case of ADD, and I don't know what to do. For instance, I am typing this up instead of studying for a 150 point AP Psychology test tomorrow. I do feel this is important though because I don't know what to do.
I feel like if I approached my parents about this I wouldn't get much help. Throughout my entire life, I have never relied on medication because my family has always viewed it as if you take it too much you become reliant on it and weaker. My brother and I have actually had discussions about it and he said he thinks taking medication for ADD is cheating. In a way, I guess that means my family can qualify for ADD, but he has sucked it up and dealt with it. I don't want to tell my family about it because I don't really know how they'll react or whether or not they'll actually want me to get tested.
I guess the question is, do I really have ADD? How exactly should I approach this? I really don't know what to do.
Well I would defiantly recommend talking to your parents, just explain how you feel, and tell them how you feel about it, how it prevents you from learning and how you don't want it anymore, and I'm sure they'd try to get medication like any good parent would, and it isn't "Cheating", it may be considered that if it was taken by a non ADD/ADHD student, but if you have a disability to learning you deserve to have the chance to receive medication, and it should help you.
Definitely consult with parents what the best option would be