Support Forums

Full Version: How to update XP machines for windows 7 networking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: ee0098def51cf1faa2041f8413e5be9a.png]
LLTD (Link Layer Topology Discovery KB922120) is an update that allows windows XP computers to show up on a network with windows 7 and vista computers.
This update was supposed to automatically be included in windows XP sp3 but somehow was missing. Because of this, when you try to install this update you will get an error saying that the service pack is newer than the update. Well, this thread will also tell you how to manually install the update.
This thread is for anyone who wants to put their windows XP machines on their home network. I am making this thread because I recently had to go through this whole process and I want to make it easier for future Googlers.

The first thing is to download the update. It does require a genuine edition of windows xp to download so be careful in case your os is illegitimate.
KB922120 LLTD update from Microsoft dot com.
If your copy of XP may not be legitimate I uploaded the update here.

Next, rename the file to something more simple. Like 922120 for this tutorial.

Then move it to the C:\ directory.
Next, open up cmd and type in the following:
Code:
cd c:\
The directory should change to C:\
Now type this in the command window
Code:
c:\922120.exe -x:c:\922120
This will extract the files to a folder called 922120. Open the folder and navigate to the folder called SP2QFE.

In that folder is a file called 'rspndr.sys' copy that to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directory.

rspndr.exe should be copied to your C:\Windows\System32 directory

rspndr.inf which is in the folder called IP, should be copied to your hidden C:\Windows\Inf directory.

Finally we can start the service by typing this into the cmd window:

Code:
cd C:\Windows\System32 [enter]
rspndr.exe -i [enter]

Now you should receive a confirmation that the service has been installed, which also means YOU ARE ALL DONE! Hope this helps!
Thanks for the share, should help lots of members!
I haven't done this myself. Looks interesting though. Thanks for sharing the guide.
Informative tutorial mate I will check this out later on. Good job and keep contributing.
Great, worked perfectly for me. Where would I be without helpful people on the Internet ? Nowhere !
That's a great tutorial, but I've never had problems like so. Still, bookmarked.