Support Forums

Full Version: Social Anxiety
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My whole life, I have dealt with social issues. I have always been seen as the quiet, low key person from the day I was born. However, I have noticed that over the years, I have become more and more anti-social. I have an extremely hard time making new friends because of my fear of talking to them conversationally. I only talk to them if they approach me first, and it is usually something simple. I have been trying to break this habit, but I just can't do it. I choke up every time I try to talk to new people. I can't even get a freakin girlfriend for Christ's sake. I'm also starting to think that this is the main source of my depression. Does anyone else have a similar problem and was able to deal with it?
I used to.. but I take medicine.
I wish I didn't have to but I do.

Anyways, you should try practicing it with someone.. like a friend, parent, family, or find someone who you have talked to before but had trouble with, and work on it with them.

That is probably the best way to improve your ability to talk to more people.
(08-13-2011, 11:54 PM)Saturday Wrote: [ -> ]Medicine makes the world go round.
I think you are talking about drugs.
Drugs don't help anything at all.
I used to have trouble speaking to people.
In all honesty, you've just gotta go for it. Start approaching people you know really well (family), then build up from that.
Don't start off by talking to a random girl, most people can't do that. Work your way up, slow and steady.
Talk to yourself in the mirror! Oui
I had the same problem when I was younger =/

It's a hard one to get over but it is possible, without medication as well.

The hardest part of doing it without the meds is "Just going for it". If you have any current friends or anyone you can talk to, you need to tell them what you have told us here. Let them get to know whats up, talk to them about why it may be happening. Friends can help you through anything.

If you don't currently have any friends then it's a little harder =/ If you go to school, try finding someone in one of your classes who has the same interests, Since you don't feel comfortable talking to people, just look around and some of the things they may be doing, if you find someone with a common ground (Like a video game you may play, or a book you might like / author) approach them and start talking about the subject. This puts you in more command of the conversation as you know what your talking about, and your talking about a subject, not the person =).

That's how I got over it when I was younger, I still kind of have it to this day were I'm shy to talk to new people, but it does get better. Trust me <3
Just think positive and don't be obsessed about what other people may think about you. I know it's hard, I'm also having troubles with it but it's getting better each day. Don't worry if you say something stupid, just joke about it. Smile and be polite, crack a joke or two and soon you'll find a good topic to talk about with someone.

Most of the conversation is done by your body language, not by words Smile, you just have to act confident. Just force yourself to do it, it'll be easier by time. Last year, I also had problems talking with people, even the ones I knew. I rarely was able to find a topic to talk about with them. During this year, I forced myself to talk with some people I rarely ever contact, it's still hard for me but it's a lot easier than last year was. Now I'm even able to start chatting to random people and find a topic to talk about in matter of seconds. Just force yourself to do it Smile

People like confident people, or the ones who atleast look confident. Just be outgoing, it's hard for them too, maybe even harder than it is to you.
It's completely normal to have these kinds of problems, I always hated when people said I was quiet. Confused

Don't be so rough on yourself though dude, you will overcome it!
You just need time to get adjusted dont be to hard on yourself man.

Pratice talking to yourself if you have to man just open up.