Support Forums

Full Version: How to Choose a Domain: 7 Steps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[Image: choosedomain.png]

Written for GenWebs.net - Webmaster Blog

Learning how to choose a domain is very important and you don’t want to be in a situation when you have to change your domains. So follow these tips and ponder for a few days until you find the perfect domain name. I will teach you how to choose as domain in this post.

1. Stick to a TLD – A TLD is a domain name extension like .com, .net, and .org. Stick with these. They are the most widely recognized and trusted. You wouldn’t want a a .info domain simply because it is seen a “cheap.”

2. No Words with Multiple Spellings and no Two Letters in a row – Words that you can spell in multiple ways are a big NO because what happens when someone who cannot spell well tries to type your domain and gets it wrong? Loss of traffic. Also don’t have domains like youtubeearly.com because people will forget if you had one or two e’s.

3. Snag all variations if possible – If you find your gem domain, snag all available variations. This means .com, .net, .org, plural, singular, etc. Everything helps and than just redirect it all towards your main domain.

4. Keywords – Try your best to include your website’s niche and keywords in the domain. If you site is about web hosting try to have the word hosting in your domain. This helps with SEO and recognition and is one of the best ways to learn how to choose a domain.

5. Avoid slang and numbers – Try not to have slang like “u” for “you” or have numbers like 0 that can be confused for “o” and don’t use 2 for “too” etc. Be professional.

6. Easy to remember and type – A nice domain should be easy to remember and type. For example, halobb.com is a great domain. It is short, niche related, and VERY easy to type.

7. Check for expired domains – Use this tool to check for expired domains. Some might have backlinks, PR, or even traffic already!

Try to think of a domain you can see on a billboard or something similar. A domain you could remember if you were visiting someone else. Think long and hard. If you want the truth on how to choose a domain don’t be quick to buy a domain because in my experience you’ll always find a better one in a little bit. Hopefully you learned how to choose a domain. Stay inspired.
Nice little guide, thanks for the share.
Nice Guide.. I like the ideas in it.
Nice post here bro! Looks really cool, very useful tips.

This is why I love my domain. Big Grin

(It's y3t.org)

Apart from the fact it has a number in it, it's pretty cool I think!
Some very useful tips for beginners. Good post.
Believable you willing to sell it? =)
I like my domains:
BHForums.cc (Black Hat Site)
WHForums.net (White Hat Site)

Kinda like how Omni has HF and SF Smile

I'm thinking about making another one (Will Not Say).
Deceive, Support Forums =/= white hat forums
(08-02-2011, 06:59 AM)Laugh Wrote: [ -> ]Believable you willing to sell it? =)

I am as you already know =3
Thanks for this guide bro. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3