Support Forums

Full Version: Firefox 7 and 8 (Aurora and Nightly) - Alpha releases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been using Aurora for a while, and now i'm onto Nightly. I must say, firefox is now my most favorited browser out there. It's pretty fast, they've been working on performance all this time no doubt.

I had ton's of addons that were incompatible, but I recently modified an addon that I use a lot so that it's now compatible with Firefox version 8 (8.0a1). Live HTTP Headers

Preview:
[Image: ilw73w.png]

Nightly:
[Image: ilwFZS.png]

You'll notice that trying to install the original version shows up as incompatible. If you want MY version, shoot me a PM for the download to the addon file. Just drag it over into your addon window to install. Restart firefox and voila Smile

Enjoy

I would highly recommend that if you're not a developer though, and if you don't have lots of knowledge with the way Firefox works, that you stick with Firefox 7 (Aurora) because 8 is still fairly new, and there's more work to be done on it. Not to say it's completely bugged, but just to stay on the safe side. I haven't found any bugs so far, but use your own discretion for deciding whether or not to go all the way to version 8. They even recommend running it in a VirtualBox just in case.

There's a 64 bit and 32 bit version of Nightly, I'd recommend running the 32 bit if you can, as you'll encounter a hassle when you try to get Flash player. If you try to install flash using a 64 bit web browser you'll get a nice message saying that you can't.
Just wondering, is there a great increase (noticeable) in performance from the stable release of FireFox available today in Aurora or Nightly?
(07-30-2011, 08:57 PM)Carbide Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondering, is there a great increase (noticeable) in performance from the stable release of FireFox available today in Aurora or Nightly?

There are no 100% stable releases, these are still alpha, however they both seemed fairly stable to me. I've used both for a while now pretty extensively. Not just for random browsing I did the full review on both.

And to answer to that, i've definitely noticed a good increase in performance from both Aurora and Nightly. I'd recommend Nightly for you though if you're unfamiliar with firefox to a certain degree though.

If you want plugins that are uncompatible with Aurora or Nightly just PM me and i'll give you a download to my modified compatible versions.

I've now made these following addons compatible up to version 8:
-FireFTP
-Live HTTP Headers
I'm sorry I wasn't very clear, I meant if Aurora/Nightly were more effective than the current stable release (FireFox 4 I believe?).

I stopped using FireFox for Opera years ago, and then to Chrome. I may try out Nightly soon, thanks to your thread, not sure if I'd like it though Tongue
I'm sure you will, but Opera is highly highly unsecure. Google chrome is better for security than Opera. Opera is actually at the bottom of the pits for security ratings in 2011.

Don't go with Nightly to start, i'd recommend sticking to Aurora for a bit, with Nightly you'll have less compatibility with addons, but since you don't currently use firefox i'm sure that won't be a dissapointment for you, having no addon's to lose lol.

You need an addon compatible, just reply to this thread, and i'll see what I can do.
Thanks, I don't think I've ever used an addon besides for adblocker though, if I do decide to try it and need some help, I'll be sure to contact you!
Sounds good, I usually enjoy any "Inspect element" addons, as i'm partially a webmaster