Support Forums

Full Version: The user name could not be found
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have been having trouble with my command prompt finding my user account.

When I type the net user command into cmd I can see my username in the list of local users but when I try to view the detailed information for my account using:

Code:
net user (my user name)
I get this message:

Code:
The user name could not be found.

Why can't cmd find my username when I can see it clearly in the net user list? Any ideas for a fix?

This is what I am doing:
You need administrator rights, launch CMD as admin.
(07-20-2011, 09:38 AM)Drakon Wrote: [ -> ]You need administrator rights, launch CMD as admin.

Thanks for replying, but I did that and I got the same results.
Could it be your username has been changed?

If it has, you could try the very first name you had for the user.
What is your user account name? I can't see anything in that gyazo image you posted, the image is down or something.

You don't happen to have spaces in your username do you?
(07-21-2011, 03:05 AM)Bad Meets Evil Wrote: [ -> ]Could it be your username has been changed?

If it has, you could try the very first name you had for the user.
The user account has had the same name since the installation of windows which was a few days ago.
(07-21-2011, 03:22 AM)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]What is your user account name? I can't see anything in that gyazo image you posted, the image is down or something.

I reposted the image. It has to link to the image because gyazo won't let me post direct links to images. My username does have one space in it. Is that the problem?
(07-23-2011, 02:41 AM)Annuit Coeptis Wrote: [ -> ]The user account has had the same name since the installation of windows which was a few days ago.
(07-21-2011, 03:22 AM)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]What is your user account name? I can't see anything in that gyazo image you posted, the image is down or something.

I reposted the image. It has to link to the image because gyazo won't let me post direct links to images. My username does have one space in it. Is that the problem?

Yeah, that's the problem. I've seen issues with that before, but I don't use a space on my computer.

Try doing something like
Code:
Net USER "word1 word2"

Just put your username in quotes. Then it should interpret everything all together as one input and not 2.

Enjoy Smile
(07-23-2011, 03:33 PM)Ace Wrote: [ -> ]I reposted the image. It has to link to the image because gyazo won't let me post direct links to images. My username does have one space in it. Is that the problem?
Yeah, that's the problem. I've seen issues with that before, but I don't use a space on my computer.

Try doing something like
Code:
Net USER "word1 word2"

Just put your username in quotes. Then it should interpret everything all together as one input and not 2.

Enjoy Smile
[/quote]

Hey! It worked! The space was the problem. Thanks a lot! Now I know that you cannot use spaces when looking up user names with that command.
Glad I could help Smile
Would you like to Activate Office? at that point interface it to your record and introduce it on your computer.visit: activate office today.
Pages: 1 2 3