Support Forums

Full Version: Common Diesel misconseptions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, i didn't realize until today just how little most people know about a diesel engine. It's not there fault, just because allot of people are never around them. So, i will point out a few of the main differences.

1. A diesel engine does not use spark plugs to start, instead it uses glow-plugs witch heat up the combustion chamber to an acceptable temperature, then when you turn the key a mixture of air and diesel fuel enter the combustion chamber (cylinder) and instead of a spark, the fuel ignites because of the intense pressure in the cylinder. Diesel fuel has a very high flash point, you can actually drop a match into a bucket of diesel and nothing will happen.

2. The black smoke that dumps out of a "chipped" up diesel's exhaust means that sum bitch has some horsepower lol. Is what that black smoke is, is unburnt fuel. Is what happens is the engine can't burn fual as fast as it sucks it, that black smoke is partially burnt fuel in a soot form. Very bad for gas mileage.

3. "A diesel engine is bad because it produces to much torque for the transmission and engine to handle" That is close to the dumbest thing i have ever heard. They wouldn't make them like that if they couldn't handle it. Now, as to any rule in the auto world, there is an exception. In 2003, Ford decided that they would make the smallest most powerful engine available, they succeed. They built a powerstroke 6.0L BEAST. Now this engine is an animal, so much so that it actually can't handle it's self. If you buy a diesel truck, NEVER buy a 6.0L unless your looking to have it in the shop constantly, trust me. Maybe not at first, but it will happen.

4. "My honda will spank your diesel." No, it won't lol I have an 06' Ford f250 powerstroke that will absolutley rip any tuner a new ass, unless of course they are running spray.
Maybe not in top speed, but 0-100 i got ya. You just can't beat a chipped up diesel with a tuner. I know this comment is ging to start a fight but oh well.

5. "diesels pollute the environment" Wrong, modern diesel engines are actually more eco friendly than many small cars.

Well, i hoped i helped a little. If you have any questions just ask, i'm sure i can give you an answer.
Thanks, this has made me see things a bit diffrently lol. Smile
Really? Well, i'm glad i could help.
Yeah, I'm not really into mechanics ect, but I'm starting to get into it.. So, I guess you've helped me quite a bit to be honest. Smile
That makes me feel good. Hey, if you want a tutorial for anything just let me know,cars, trucks, lawnmowers, motorcycles or a go-cart lol i know a bit about all of them.
(10-22-2009, 06:37 PM)ktmrider530 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, i didn't realize until today just how little most people know about a diesel engine.

And I've just realized that somehow I did know all of this. Yeye
I don't have a clue why, it's not my domain Confused

Simple and true words, thanky you for sharing this!
(10-22-2009, 06:51 PM)ktmrider530 Wrote: [ -> ]That makes me feel good. Hey, if you want a tutorial for anything just let me know,cars, trucks, lawnmowers, motorcycles or a go-cart lol i know a bit about all of them.

That's cool, i think you should post more tutorials.. Just to help out the community. ^__^
(10-22-2009, 06:56 PM)NinjaGeek Wrote: [ -> ]And I've just realized that somehow I did know all of this. Yeye
I don't have a clue why, it's not my domain Confused

Simple and true words, thanky you for sharing this!
Well, allot of people do know this, I was talking with some people and they thought they knew allot about a diesel engine, so i listened for a while. And these are the conversations that came up. And your welcome, anytime i can help i feel that much better.
(10-22-2009, 06:58 PM)Codine Wrote: [ -> ]That's cool, i think you should post more tutorials.. Just to help out the community. ^__^
There will be plenty more to come, any suggestions?