Support Forums

Full Version: Views on the 'Rottweiler' aka the devil dog.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Rottweiler is a medium to large size breed of domestic dog that originated in Rottweil, Germany. The dogs were known as "Rottweil butchers' dogs" (German: Rottweiler Metzgerhund) because they were used to herd livestock and pull carts laden with butchered meat and other products to market.[1] Some records indicate that earlier Rottweilers may have also been used for hunting, although the modern Rottweiler has a relatively lesser hunting instinct compared with other breeds.

Where I'm from there are always reports in the news of these type of dogs attacking children for no good reason and suddenly snapping at random times. It's got them the term as 'devil dogs' and there are strong advice for people not to buy one. They say it can be your best friend for years then suddenly just attack you, almost like they can't control it.

Well my next door neighbor has just bought one and I must say it's adorable, it seems to love people and is very loyal and playful. My worry is there are allot of young children around my neighborhood and because of the breeds reputation I'm a little worried about it being next door. The owners have already had some pressure to get rid of it but it still seems really harmless :\

Do you think the Rottweilers bad reputation is harsh, or do you concur it's a very dangerous pet to have around?

http://www.dreamdogs.co.uk/wp-content/up...weiler.jpg
I disagree completely. I had a Rotweiler named "Buck" and he was the best barn dog ever. It all matters how you raise the dog. He was the best, he would eat rats, birds, rabbits, or anything he could catch. I think because people raise them wrong they get a really bad reputation.
This is bull crap. I had a Rottweiler and I had him since I was 2 and he was the best dog ever.
Where you guys from? I'm not joking when I say it's always in the news. These rottweilers aren't raised to harm, they are raised in family and are harmless for years but then suddenly snap. Most dogs are loved in this country and some people treat them as equals ! but the rottweiler has always been the sort of outcast breed that people distance themselves from. Personally I agree with you guys, I think it's a harsh reputation, but the reputation still exists and it exists for a reason Smile
Can't stand them, they are always behind the deaths and maulings of children. They give all big dogs a bad name.
My first impression when seeing Rottweilers is "Release the hounds". lol
I wouldn't say it's a bad dog per-say, but it's reputation certainly shouldn't keep you from one, but if you still have doubts buy a more love-able dog to keep around that doesn't have such a bad reputation for betraying it's owner.
All domesticated dogs act the way they are trained, end of story. I've been around dogs all my life, and I've never seen anything different then that that first sentence says about dogs and their owners. It's not just about training them to know what is good, but what is bad as well. Both sides to a single story.
Dogs only grow to be mean because of the owners. I have seen some really nice dogs that are a mean bread (i.e pitbulls, rottweiler's)
They are very intelligent and high strung dogs but they do have a tendency to just go nuts sometimes I saw one break a cats back in a split second. They are large and have a lot of power in their jaws so when the attack something it's usually tragic.
Pages: 1 2